Respected Contributor

IMG_0645.jpeg

I found lots of these herbaceous plants while foraging for Morel Mushrooms this morning.  Turns out, they're used for lots of things.  I've always seen them growing, but didn't know what they could be used for, so I started reading.

I read that it's not only a wild, edible green, but a highly nutritious Superfood!  Who Knew?  

A member of the mint family, it's sometimes referred to as purple Archangel or red deadnettle.

The leaves are kinda fuzzy and said to be served (to humans) best as the garnish included in a salad, rather than its main ingredient.  It can also be added to soups, smoothies, pestos, or tea.  It can be used fresh or hung to dry.

The purple flowers are said to taste quite sweet.

It also has been touted as having medicinal benefits.  Some have used it in a poultice or salve.  One article even mentioned it helping with allergies.

Some dry it and make sachets with it too.

It's preferred over many other flowers by bees.  Because it flowers early in spring and can last through the winter in mild climates, it's very important to them.

Please keep in mind, while I've never used Purple DeadNettle, I found it very interesting to read about.  We're sure in no short supply of it here either lol.  Who knows, I may?

Honored Contributor

I have this,likes some shade,but your post on moral mushrooms, so very good ,grew up in Indiana ,had many of them,

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

Somehow, the name "deadnettle" doesn't scream "eat me" to me!

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I have this,likes some shade,but your post on moral mushrooms, so very good ,grew up in Indiana ,had many of them,

Thats where I noticed a lot of my purple DeadNettle growing, in part shade.

I love morels, but I've been out twice so far and haven't found anything this year.  I've been taking my phone with me, so I am getting some nice wildflower and herb pictures lol.  But, I really hope it's sunny Friday like it's supposed to be.  That will make my morel hunting a lot easier.😃💝

Respected Contributor

Re: Purple DeadNettle

[ Edited ]

@Bookplate wrote:

Thats what I thought too lol.😂

Ive never eaten it, but when I looked it up and read several different online articles, using it in foods kept coming up.  
It did say that very large quantities in an infusion at one time may cause diarrhea, but from what I read, that would be a whole lot.

One man said chickens like to eat it too.

Honored Contributor

Watch out for snakes,and spray tick sprayon your self,and eat some  morals for me!!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Watch out for snakes,and spray tick sprayon your self,and eat some  morals for me!!!

Thank you and will do.  I've already battled getting such small ticks off pants...and my eyesight isn't what it used to be lol.  I need more OFF!

I'll eat as many as I can find for ya!😃❤️

Super Contributor

@Bookplate wrote:

LOL! I thought the exact same thing... reread the name and thought hmmmm would I attempt a bite?! @cheriere I wonder if others in your area actually do harvest and eat that!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Purple DeadNettle

[ Edited ]

@cheriere Interesting. Did you sample the leaves or flowers? I wonder if it tastes like mint?

I think foraging sounds like a lot of fun but I'm so super paranoid that I'd eat something deadly poisonous.....Woman Embarassed

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Super Contributor

That plant looks like a lovely shade of green! You are giving us all a wonderful glimpse of hiking in your woods - fun exploration before finding your Morels! (Notice I said "before finding" and not "in case you don't find" lol). I'm keeping my posts positive because I really want you to find them and share with your family with steaks YUM! Plus I can't wait for some pictures of them growing big and fat, ready for frying! Good luck! Thanks for the pics!