Trusted Contributor

Re: Problem with American Express - Need Help!!

This is a case of a Scorpio (me) holding a grudge.  I was poorly treated by an AMEX customer service rep during a minor ($47) dispute.  She was so incridibly rude that I asked to speak to a supervisor.  After relating my story to the supervisor, she said, "American Express does not apologize"!  WHAT??  Cancelled my card, and will not have one again.  Must be 20 years ago!

Respected Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@Perkup wrote:

I don't know the problem you're having, but I do know that by law when you ask to speak to someone in the continental US, they have to transfer you.  Have you actually tried speaking to someone who answers in the usual group? I've found everyone there very helpful. They usually bend over backward to be helpful.

@Perkup I don't think that is true. 

Please look this up from a relliable source, which you apparently don't think I am.  I have been told this by ATT and several other sources that I have reason to call.  And I assue you, it works.  If we all did this every time, I feel that there is a chance it might "encourage" some of these companies to stop sending our calls oversesas.  

Honored Contributor

@qvc chick wrote:
I have an ongoing problem with my American Express account. I have called, but they route the call to India and The Phillipines. Does anyone have a good Executive phone contact number??? THis problem has been going on for awhile, I am at my wits end. I want to speak to someone in the US !!

So you pay $450.00 a year for American Express membership and you cannot get someone on the other end of the phone that speaks English? Strange because I have never had an issue with anyone from the Phillipines or India as they all spoke excellent English.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@qvc chick wrote:
I have an ongoing problem with my American Express account. I have called, but they route the call to India and The Phillipines. Does anyone have a good Executive phone contact number??? THis problem has been going on for awhile, I am at my wits end. I want to speak to someone in the US !!

So you pay $450.00 a year for American Express membership and you cannot get someone on the other end of the phone that speaks English? Strange because I have never had an issue with anyone from the Phillipines or India as they all spoke excellent English.

@Trinity11 $450 a year is for the black card. Amex has many cards, Blue, Gold, etc.  

I've  personally always been happy with Amex customer service. For me, they have been much more knowledgeable and helpful than any of the others credit card issuers. 

@qvc chick Have you contacted them in writing?  If it's ongoing, that would be the next step. You need documentation. Explain what's been going on and send copies to Amex headquarters and any other address you can find that looks like they have some authority. 

Trusted Contributor

I have 2 American Express credit cards, have called them on MANY occasions, and have NEVER been connected to a rep who is outside the U.S.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I rarely have had to call Amex but my card was hacked (I got caught in the middle of the Home Depot/Target debacles) and they were all over it.  I think it depends on the time of day/day of the week that you call that you may get an overseas rep but I have never had a problem in terms of speaking to any of their representatives.

I am very sorry that Costco has parted ways with them.

Honored Contributor

several years ago I had to call the Dept of Education regarding student loans. Omg I had weeks of getting foreign reps who for the life of me I could NOT understand (more frustration on top of original!)

Long story short I was calling a Federal US government agency and I told the "supervisor" I wanted to speak to 1) someone who spoke English & 2) in the United States.

Surprisingly, they took my contact number 3 days later I got a call from the DC office -- issue resolved in 15 minutes -- a $26,000 error that I was trying to resolve for months and had the nerve to charge me interest!

PS: those who have student loans a word to the wise look over those financial statements with a microscope -- I found my sons college collected for a semester AFTER he had graduated...yup, $26,000! And a real pain to get the school to return the funds!!

Esteemed Contributor

Call the 800 number and ask to speak to someone stateside.

Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@Perkup wrote:

I don't know the problem you're having, but I do know that by law when you ask to speak to someone in the continental US, they have to transfer you.  Have you actually tried speaking to someone who answers in the usual group? I've found everyone there very helpful. They usually bend over backward to be helpful.

@Perkup I don't think that is true. 

Please look this up from a relliable source, which you apparently don't think I am.  I have been told this by ATT and several other sources that I have reason to call.  And I assue you, it works.  If we all did this every time, I feel that there is a chance it might "encourage" some of these companies to stop sending our calls oversesas.  

I didn't say you can't ask to be transferred; I questioned it being the law as you stated. 

Honored Contributor

And so what if you are transferred to a U.S call center and you get someone with a heavy accent?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland