Trusted Contributor

We (hubby and me) like to go out to eat on the weekends. 

We typically go to what I consider to be "average priced restaurants" (not fast food/not fancy).  We have noticed the prices have gone up quite a bit since COVID.  Our total bill is now at least $10 more than it was prior to COVID and then of course, the amount we leave for the tip is also larger.  Plus, due to everything, we're also leaving a little larger tip too.

I understand why the prices have gone up - just about everything has, plus the restaurants suffered so much last year.

How about you - have you noticed the same where you live too? 

Honored Contributor

NOPE!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Yes.  The price of lots of things have gone up.  Businesses are still in a horrible position, a constant balancing act....raise prices to cover costs vs lose customers because prices are to high.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor

Prices have gone up a lot by me. We noticed that a soda in a local restaurant now is $3.50. If you count tax and 20% tip just on that soda, for a family of four, you're paying close to $18 just for beverages. Due to unemployment last year we are really trying save money, so on the rare occasion we don't eat at home we'll get takeout and use drinks at home where I have 12 packs of soda I bought for $3.

I understand why restaurants must raise prices. Their margins are thin to begin with and now they have to pay high wages to even find workers.  When the government prints out more money prices have to go up.

Honored Contributor

Of course restaurant prices have gone up.  I don't penny pinch or record prices I pay for things and we didn't eat out for a year.  Still, I know we are paying more at our favorite restaurants.  Local bakeries are charging more too.  I don't know how much more we are paying, it's reasonable and affordable and I understand the struggles they are still having.  One local diner where we went for breakfast and lunch.  Best homemade muffins in the world!   They did take out and delivery only during the pandemic.  Limited menu.  They just wanted survive.  They decided to continue with take out and they do their own deliveries.  Cost too much to reopen with dine in and they couldn't find workers.  The people who had worked for them for many years either retired or moved on to other jobs.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely, prices in restaurants have gone up though, IMO, not that significantly.  They were closed for many months and I don't blame them for upping the prices.  DH and I enjoy eating out and have continued to do so whenever restaurants have been open.

Honored Contributor

I agree; the cost of everything has climbed steadily thru the pandemic.  

As soon as grocery stores were hit hard in March of 2020, food prices started to rise steadily, and have not stopped.  In addition to the higher food costs, the cost of plastic or styrofoam takeout containers has increased, delivery costs are up, and of course staffing issues, have contributed to the higher prices we have to pay.

Gas prices are higher.   I put gas in my car when it's down to 1/2 a tank, or about once a month, and the cost is $26-$31 now.   My electric company was recently granted a rate increase, as was our water company.   My trash disposal company added another $.50 on the monthly bill for gas surcharge.   I feel sure the cost of propane has also increased, and will be prepared for that when I call for a delivery.   

We aren't eating in restaurants at all, and our drive thru/takeout expense is very small.   I am just thankful to have everything open and running, and to be able to afford all the things I buy for my family.  

Respected Contributor

Prices have definitely gone up. Groceries, gas, eating out...I am very happy to be going out & about, though.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, prices have gone up considerably in my area.  I would say anywhere from a couple of dollars to ten or more for entrees.  I know most places were trying to hold on in the past year with take out and that right there added costs because of the way items have to be packaged.  Many restaurants near me also added delivery that they never had before and that probably has added to the overall price of a typical entree.  

Esteemed Contributor

We do carryout only, too. Prices have increased so we just go less often. Usually our locally owned steakhouse.

We tip the carryout staff generously in cash. Many are college kids not attending right now.