Esteemed Contributor

I'm not on FB much.It really doesn't bother me anyway.Not everyone is as "schooled" as others.  Sometimes people just don't care enough to proofread & self correct.No big deal.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a friend that ends every sentence with a question mark....like this:

"I had deer in my yard this morning?"

Honored Contributor

If I cannot decipher what someone is trying to say, I move on.  I would never call them out on it although it does happen.

I'm guessing sometimes people do speech to text and that isn't always the most accurate. They hit submit/post and that's what you get.  

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ   I don't have a Facebook account at all,but I see this everywhere.

Our local newspaper has an online version.  The grammar is awful.  I am amazed the journalists are still employed there.

Some of the articles allow you to comment on the story.  The public always comments on the poor grammar.  It continues anyway.

@Carmie, that drives me insane.  But at our local paper, the proofreading department is not allowed to correct the grammar of a reporter submitting an article.  Now what sense does that make?

I often see errors on our local news as well or there are a lot of errors on things that scroll across the bottom of the screen during news programs.   

Esteemed Contributor

I see this a lot in various groups I'm a part of.  If I can't decipher what someone is talking about, I move on.  I don't ever post/comment that I can't understand them but, if somebody else has made that type of comment, I will "like" that post.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with poster who suggested part of the problem is due to the original programmer (of the computer program).  Generally speaking programmers are geeks who are more comfortable with math and formulas than English.  Btw, my undergrad degree was in English and Journalism;  I make my share of grammar/spelling mistakes but try to proofread and use edit function.  What has happened to learning (particularly) grammar?  Local news readers are particularly guilty ( "he and me" etc).

Respected Contributor

There are far too many people who simply cannot write!

Amy Stran CONSTANTLY misuses "I" and "me" and it drives me crazy!

WHY are people not able to understand the difference between "to" and "too"? And, please, do not end a sentence with the word, "at". For goodness sake, this is grammar 101. 

I taught college courses to graduate-level students and I was absolutely stunned by how many of them could not write. I was spending an exhausting amount of time just making corrections and trying to understand the content. I know other professors who experience the same thing. Simply passing students through high school and college is not doing these kids any favors. EVERYTHING in life requires that you write and it matters!

Honored Contributor

I belong to mostly local neighborhood groups & I see a lot of slang, half of which I don't understand.

When I see errors in grammar or spelling in other groups, I assume English is not their first language.   If the post seems like nonsense to me, I just ignore & scroll by.  It could be ignorance or just bad typing

A couple of groups are inspired by lovely writers, wow, I"m the uneducated one there!    Most of the posts are novel quality, so are the comments.   

99% of the time, I use the spell check available here.    I don't always get it right 

Honored Contributor

Seems like people just don't care anymore.  They don't know the difference between to, two, too or there, their, they're etc.  And even the media outlets and advertisers just go with less all the time when fewer is the proper choice.  That's my pet peeve.  I generally try to re-read before I hit the Send key, but I also know how to go back in and edit if I miss something.

I absolutely hate typing on my phone.  And then there's auto-correct.  One day I noticed my neighbor had received a package.  I knew they were home because the garage door was up, and it started raining.  I tried to text her that she had a pkg and auto-correct kept changing it to pig.  I'm glad I checked after I corrected the auto-correct because it changed it again.  I burst out laughing thinking what she would've thought had I sent the auto-corrected message:  "You have a pig on your porch and it's raining."

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

I am a member of several groups on Facebook and am astonished by the poor spelling and grammar I see  constantly.  Yes, there have been some posts on these boards that are hard to understand. There have been times, especially on FB, when I really wasn't sure what the person commenting was attempting to say.  I don't know if these people are not educated or just don't care.  Please know I'm not talking about an occasional error;  we all make those!

What do you think?  Why would someone post a comment full of errors so that readers have difficulty understanding what is stated? 

@this is my nic   You could have broke up your post into paragraphs to make it easier to read....

people make mistakes....even educated  people and people that care.....stuff happens.

Do not sweat the small stuff!🙂