Trusted Contributor

I think outside of typos or just people making quick posts and mistakes, a lot of people are under educated. That being said I feel sorry for those people. That sort of thing starts early on with parents, teachers and schools that don't care. It really doesn't take much to get passed out of high school. Unfortunately that puts people in a very bad position down the road.

So I don't generally hold it against people. You don't know what you don't know as they say, Funny because I was just wondering the other day if we have literacy programs around here for older people that never learned to read or read well. I think it's something I would volunteer for.

Honored Contributor

Re: Posts on Facebook!

[ Edited ]

Not everyone has the same capabilities.  

Not everyone has access to quality education.

Spelling and grammar aren't strengths for some people.

Education is becoming less and less important to some people (why, I'll never know). There are even some politicians who say education isn't important.

Education is becoming a high profit business in some areas which always leads to problems.

Politicians in many states (including mine) keep cutting funding for education which cuts programs and classes.

And it's time to stop judging others.

Respected Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

I am a member of several groups on Facebook and am astonished by the poor spelling and grammar I see  constantly.  Yes, there have been some posts on these boards that are hard to understand. There have been times, especially on FB, when I really wasn't sure what the person commenting was attempting to say.  I don't know if these people are not educated or just don't care.  Please know I'm not talking about an occasional error;  we all make those!

What do you think?  Why would someone post a comment full of errors so that readers have difficulty understanding what is stated? 

What difference does it make????   None to me...

Respected Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

I think some people go so fast, they don't see that their finger hit a neighboring key, and then there is regional dialect in all communities that effects speech patterns.

My students were often displeased that I corrected speech in their papers.  My answer was "I teach YOU!!".

Yes.

I post to Facebook from my phone over 90% of the time and usually very quickly. Between the tiny keyboard and autocorrect, sometimes I am appalled at what I've actually posted and have to go back and edit.

This happens to me too. Sometimes I don't go back over and proofread everything then I see what I wrote. I also have to edit it because I won't leave poor grammar or incorrect spelling unattended.

Contributor

People type fast & it's casual so they probably don't proofread. 

Contributor
Spelling errors drive me nuts as well. That said, I think I know what could be the problem. I use Google voice typing most of the time.
I use it because I am not quick at texting or typing on my phone.
Even when I enunciate distinctly , it still typed the wrong thing. And with the new software update on my phone, it throws periods after every pause.
Valued Contributor

It drives me nuts to see some of the poor spelling on Facebook. I can understand if it is caused by just typing the wrong letter, as they can be so small. However, a lot of it is just people who never learned to spell. For instance, a friend recently posted that her mother had "past" away. As most of us know, that should be "passed". Double negatives also get under my skin. My husband is always telling me that I should have been an English teacher! LOL!!

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Respected Contributor

Brilliant adults with masters degrees have had dyslexia from childhood that has made spelling a nightmare all of their lives. 

Respected Contributor

I'm just guessing but I think a lot of people had been poorly home schooled especially in the early years of home schooling before parents were given the guidance they receive today.  Those children would be of an age now to be using FB in cooking groups where I see it frequently.  Public school would have done a better job, even with a dyslexic child.

Esteemed Contributor

Yet another post complaining about spelling and grammer.  Must be a boring week.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.