Respected Contributor

Plastic Bag Collection = Do you?

[ Edited ]

I'm starting to think accumulating plastic bags is a mental illness.

Three years ago, I started storing plastic bags to make "Plarn"  (DIY yarn made from plastic bags).

I thought I'd make a "business" out of hand-made "plarn" items.  Over time, after making a few baskets, rugs and mattresses, I got bored and stopped.

But I didn't stop storing the bags.

WHY? 

Why am I storing these bags if I'm not going to use them?

Does anyone else do this?

This is so weird!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Re: Plastic Bag Collection = Do you?

No, they take up too much space.  Grocery stores here have containers which accept plastic bags for recycling. Get rid if the bags.

Honored Contributor

No.  We don't keep them.

Honored Contributor

I don't think you are weird @RinaRina   Collecting the bags became a habit while you were working on your plarn business.  You just need to break the habit.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Yes, I keep the bags for cleaning out my kitty's litter box.  Also we have a project 

going on to make mattresses for homeless people, they turned out beautiful.  There are many uses.  We sure could use a bunch for our project..

Respected Contributor

I use them to line my small trash bin in my bathroom. And when I go to the Big Box store I use them to bag up my groceries.

Respected Contributor

We use our own bags 98% of the time.  I have a collection of reusable bags in every car.  From small bags to large insulated bags.  

The few times we get plastic bags we recycle them.

I really think stores should charge for plastic bags.  One our recent travels was to an area that charged .10 per bag and all the bags were paper, no plastic.

Respected Contributor

@phluphy Where did you find apattern idea for the mattresses ?

Esteemed Contributor

We use plastic bags for all kinds of things. I carry plastic bags in my purse just in case I see trash when I’m out walking, which is usually all the time; also, to protect my purse in the event of rain.  I also keep them in the car for trash, extra shoes, etc.  I use them at home for small amounts of trash and for storage.  I use them to carry things to waiting rooms or hospitals so in case of germs I can dispose of them later.  Any extras are recycled.  

Respected Contributor

I keep a few plastic ones in the back of my car; however, rarely use them unless I have to wrap meat in them (so it doesn't leak).  Years ago bought two sturdy compartmentalized dividers made for cargo areas of an SUV.  I either go through the self-checkout lanes or if I go through regular ones and I load the groceries back into the cart while cashier is ringing them up.  

Go to the car, open the hatch, load groceries into the dividers and head home - once there I can pick each divider up and carry those into the house to unload.