Respected Contributor

Shark Vacuum vs. Whole Peppercorns....!

Well you know where this is going....

I buy whole peppercorns from Aldi in a glass bottle that has shrink wrapped plastic all around it.....

I went to my garage where my pantry shelf is, to get a new jar to complete my meal...

I figured I'm out where the garbage can is, why not unwrap the thing out here and toss the plastic in the garbage bag.

So I began to unwrap the tightly wrapped plastic shrink wrap, not realizing I was UNSCREWING THE TOP of the bottle!!!

The bottle popped open, and fell to the floor ( which has a polypropelene low nap rug on it)...it landed on the rug and about half the bottle of peppercorns jumped out and bounced all over.....!!!!

Thankfully MOST of them landed in a "stripe" of peppercorns on the rug, but many other jumped all over. They are like little black ball bearings!!!

I thought "Oh great...these will probably shoot all over when I attempt to vacuum them up with my Shark vacuum....I figured I'd have to use the wand for the whole mess...BUT...

I tried the vacuum function first. I figured QVC is always showing these vacs sucking up lines of loose cereal, cat little, glitter.....

It worked like a charm!!! They did NOT shoot all over the garage floor, and I was able to vac up the majority by moving slowly over them. The many single ones that had escaped to other areas I chased with the wand and extensions and I think I got them all.....!

My vac is about 6 years old, I did not get it from QVC, and it replaced a much more expensive Dyson gimmicky model that died after only a few years use.

I don't work for Shark or QVC, but I thought I'd tell this story.

If you buy peppercorns and sea salt at Aldi's be aware of how easily those tops come off! ( the twist off top on the the grinder-type bottle..pepper is worse than salt). BE CAREFUL!!!!

Here's a hint: If you have whole cloves, you can use the empty Aldi peppercorn bottle with grinder top because the top does come off so easily....Fill the bottle with whole cloves and you can grind them into your dish.....Whole cloves taste much better than the clove dust that's pre-ground!

I get the dunce award for today!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Shark Vacuum vs. Whole Peppercorns....!

@Othereeeen   Cute story (of course I already knew what was about to happen with the peppercorns)!  I use those too, so I know how crazy they are if they happen to get away from you.  I've lost a few when loading them into the grinder.  I don't have the problem with the plastic, though, because I buy mine from Marc's here in Ohio.  All their spices ("Spice Classics") just have a little paper tab that easily breaks when you turn the lid!

BTW I hate all those dreaded plastic protectors almost as much as I hate the child proof (and senior citizen proof) caps on medicine bottles!Cat Mad

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

I love my Sharks but they work a lot better on carpeting than on bare floors. Be glad the peppercorns fell on the carpet.  

Honored Contributor

I'm in the market for a new vacuum and was convinced by your post until I read post #3.  I have mainly bare floors.  What to do, what to do.  

Respected Contributor

@Othereeeen   Sorry for your mishap but thanks for sharing the tip about the grinder jars.  Genius reuse of a nice item.

Respected Contributor

@depglass   I have bare floors and some large rugs.  I had a Dyson animal and when the extension part came apart from stretching it out, I got a shark.  I will never buy another brand of vacuum.  I have the powered lift-away, the ultralight, and now the robot one.  I have two large dogs and don't like to see the little dust balls of fur that seem to appear on the bare floors.

I still have to mop the floors weekly once I've used the shark to vacuum up the dog hair or dirt, since I don't think a vacuum can clean the floors like a wet mop can.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

Another positive review here on the Shark for all flooring types. I have several including the recent ultra light corded TSV. LOVE IT!