Trusted Contributor

@joa wrote:

We did inquire about a fence after the first time it happened and it will be 11k to install one. We will have to take out a loan but that may be the only way.

Get at least one more estimate.  11K sounds like a lot compared to what I have paid in the past, but, of course, I don't know how large an area you have to cover.  

Honored Contributor

@kelsey17 wrote:

I feel so bad for you......these neighbors are a nightmare.  We had a family behind us that had a young  pitbull along with some other dogs and the only dog who growled and tried to get through the chain fence at me and my husband was this vicious pitbull.  While getting out of their fenced property the dog tried to attack a woman walking across the street and got hit by a car.   I love animals ...have had all kinds my whole life.....but i can't understand the ignorance of some people with these vicious animals...They have the nasty reputation not because they are misunderstood ...it is because there IS A DIFFERENCE in temperment, and destruction they can cause......until it hits their own home they won't react....and sometimes they still defend the dog.  I think

they should be outlawed or have to be legally muzzled

when in public.  Build the highest fence you can......at this point that is all you can do....sorry.

@kelsey17

Why punish any dog when their owners are the real problem. I know all about the statistics of Pit Bulls and the Rottweiler where it pertains to people being seriously bitten. Sure, both breeds I mentioned above can be dangerous, but potentially, any large dog can also be dangerous.

Why should any dog be muzzled because of their owner? When outside the owner should have their dog on a leash, and be in full control of their dog at all times. To me, that should apply to ALL dogs in all states and cities. It not only protects people/other animals, and also their dog, whatever the breed.

To me that is like convicting the dog of a crime he did not commit by requiring any dog to be muzzled without him harming anyone. I got bitten by a terrier when I was 15 years old and it put a pretty good sized hole in my leg. The scar is still very visible over 60 years later.

It is my opinion that owners of any breed of dog are at fault if any animal or human is harmed by their dog, and the responsibility 100% of the blame should be placed on the owner, not the dog. Any punishment should begin with the owners. If a dog is proven to be dangerous by the correct authorities, that is a whole different matter.

Muzzle a dog because of it's breed? Not in my book.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: Pit Bull next door

[ Edited ]

Some dogs are very high jumpers and can jump on and over high fences, straight from the ground, too.  I've seen it happen on those popular dog training TV shows.   .......Anyway, I don't go into my back yard alone, because I've seen the dogs (huge) next door almost jump over their fence on the other side when roofers next door to them were taunting the dogs.  Placing their hands over and above the fence, and those dogs almost jumped over, until I opened my window and motioned the roofers 'No-no'.  So they (the roofers) stopped taunting them.  We, too, cannot build high fences, although on TV there were very high fences that a couple of dogs jumped over (separate dogs, seperate episodes).

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I have a beautiful twelve year old pitt that our son would bring home for little visits before his eyes were open.  When the pup was six months, our DS got married and my DIL didn't want a dog because of problems renting.  That was more than fine with me because  I had babied him so after we had lost our beautiful chocolate lab to cancer a few years before.  

Levi is properly trained, but they do concern people.  We keep a hunter's collar on him and we have no problem.

The ladies at the CVS drive through love him!

A year ago, the next door neighbor's small white furry dog came down the driveway barking at our dog!  The white dog thought Levi was out of place!  Nothing happened.

I would never let any dog loose unless you live far out in the country.  They not only bother people, they can get hit and it is up to their owners to keep them safe.

He's a good boy and sleeps in my lap at night while I (we) read or watch tv.

Numerous people have offered to buy him.  No way!!!

Here is my "baby".

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@joa

"He did say he would keep him on a leash.  That didn't happen so we called the police. They said they didn't come out for those type of things"

I find this hard to believe.  Your city/town does not have a leash law?

In my town, animal control is under the direction of the police department.  If there is an animal complaint during non-business hours, a police officer is dispatched to take care of it.

I wouldn't put up with a dog wandering all over the neighborhood either.  That's just lack of consideration by the people with the dog.  If the situation isn't fixed, contact your city councilperson.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

You absolutely did the right thing!  So sorry you are having issues with your neighbors about their dog.

We have always had a dog.  Love them dearly.  When I was growing up my mother and father taught us to be responsible pet owners and to be considerate of others with out pets.  We made sure they were properly fed, took them to the vet and treated with love and kindness because they were part of the family.  But as mother always said "if it has teeth, it will bite."  You never know what will happen with a dog.  Pit Bulls have a reputation of being aggressive and I am terrified of them.  Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG 

Levi is adorable 

Respected Contributor

@joa wrote:

The highest fence we can build is 5 ft. ( HOA regulations ).  We are looking at a semi-private vinyl picket fence. The dog doesn't want to be friends cause the first time it happened my husband was watering our lawn and he backed my husband against the back of our house. The lady came out and got him then and just said "sorry" very normally like she couldn't care less that her dog was doing this on our property. That is when I talked to the husband and told him that this can never happen again. I asked if the dog had bitten anyone before etc... he did say he would keep it on a leash. These people are not stupid just selfish,irresponsible and dangerous.

He is a firefighter and she is a nurse.

If he is firefighter and she is a nurse, and they let their dog run, they're stupid.

Contributor

Levi is a beautiful pup!!  That, however,isn't  any where close to what we encountered!  I do blame the owners of the dog!  I am a total doglover.. I actually rescued a dog from my former boss.. I , of course, quit my job because ... ( for her safety Smiley Wink  )

Honored Contributor

Re: Pit Bull next door

[ Edited ]

@joa wrote:

Levi is a beautiful pup!!  That, however,isn't  any where close to what we encountered!  I do blame the owners of the dog!  I am a total doglover.. I actually rescued a dog from my former boss.. I , of course, quit my job because ... ( for her safety Smiley Wink  )

@joaThank you.  Of course he is the "baby" in the house!  I SO appreciate you pointing out that the owner makes all of the difference in the dog!  I think because of Michael Vick and his former dog fighting days, the positive word has gotten out.

When our son was only two, the neighbor had sons that wouldn't properly close their gate when they left letting their two sharpei dogs of which the mother was fearful.  We called animal control often.  They came over here in our yard and growled at us!

I just wished that all young people knew that you never leave any dog, no matter what the breed, alone with a child-ever.