Contributor

I am so mad at our system need to vent!

My son in law has been very sick for over ten years, it started with his heart.  He has had several operations, lives with s pacemaker, defibulator in his chest.  He is only 45. Well 3 years ago he got really bad leukemia a type that is usually fatal, after 3 rounds of intense chemo, being so sick losing all his hair the hospital said there was nothing more they could do.  However the Mayo Clinic was doing an experimental stem cell donner trail.  Well they took him right away, his brother was a perfect match and he did okay, but he now has no immunity to any germs, has to wear a mask everywhere he goes and he has big problems with graft host rejection and takes over $1,000.00 a month in drugs and that is out of pocket after insurance pays, every cold is a hospital stay.. He cannot get new immunization shots until they can get him off some of these drugs... He went on disability a little over a year ago when the doctors told him he could not work. (Never asked for anything before this and hated to do this but had no choice). Well they sent him a letter saying he could only receive benefits for six more months!  Now if he was a drug addict or a drunk there would be no problem!  He can appeal but must do it in person with representatives of his doctors with him!  Like that will happen and frankly he is too sick!  

Honored Contributor

Re: I am so mad at our system need to vent!

I don't blame you for being angry.  The system is organized to benefit the wealthy and the medical establishment itself.  Nothing will change until we demand it.

Contributor

You got that right, if I was wealthy I would buy some tv air time!

Honored Contributor

Does he have an attorney?  Seems as though the people who are most successful with Social Security Disability have legal representation.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kelseys Mimi I'm so so sorry.  I know it does not help but I truly feel so sorrowful for your son's situation.  That's a horrible way to live and then on top of it all gets no support.  I won't even tell you some of the things I've read about people that come here illegally just to have their babies who get all the help and privileges and assistance they need and we as legal citizens get shunned.  It makes me sick. 

Back to you, I would seek legal help.  They know what your sons's rights are.  It seems most people just give up without at least trying the legal route.   They may not even know they have rights.  It does not hurt to seek their help.

Contributor

kachina624, no he was able to get disability without it, the attorney takes 25 to 33% of your benefit!  How crooked is that, I don't have much faith in lawyers, most are sharks, you can should not have to have one!  They should just send him paperwork for the doctors to verify he is still disabled, why all the hoops to jump through?

Contributor

kachina624, no he was able to get disability without it, the attorney takes 25 to 33% of your benefit!  How crooked is that, I don't have much faith in lawyers, most are sharks, you should not have to have one!  They should just send him paperwork for the doctors to verify he is still disabled, why all the hoops to jump through?

Honored Contributor

Sounds like your son in law is on short term disability which has time limits, I once was on this for six months. Has he applied for permanent disability? If he has and if he had a lawyer file his case then whatever your sil received , the lawyer got a ONE TIME fee from his settlement for his/her services. BTW his SSD is final with review of his case every several years. 

All the best to him.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

Your State should have pro bono (free of charge) disability lawyers who have many strategies to deal with your situation.  Look in White Pages or Google for names.

Also, you insurance company should have a patient advocate who, again, deals with issues like this regularly and offers services free of charge.  These people are professionals who deal with the SSD office regularly.  

Do NOT allow the SSD system to defeat you as after everything your son-in-law has gone through it is absolutely inexcusable and unacceptable for his situation not to receive special attention.  There are ALWAYS EXCEPTIONS to any of their rules and regulations.  I have years of experience with indigent criminal defendants who suffered from a myriad of serious health situations.  A resulution was always found using professionals.  

Once a patient advocate was identified, the Agency stepped up and did the right thing.  However, it takes a lot of prodding and perseverance that you can't be expected to provide ias you are emotionally drained from dealing with your son's condition on a daily basis and this is not your chosen profession.

GOOD LUCK!!

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I don't blame you for being angry.  The system is organized to benefit the wealthy and the medical establishment itself.  Nothing will change until we demand it.

I so agree with you.  In this case, however I believe the "system" is his employer and insurer.  Not sure what State we're talking about here, but he should have been on SSDI a LONG time ago.

*Call Tyrone*