Honored Contributor

@THETOT wrote:

That fee is very resonable.  I don't trust anyone with my animals, when we went out of town they only stayed with my parents.  I don't understand how people can leave their dogs at a kennel, I would be a nervous wreck.

@THETOT   We don't go away often, but Molly stays at her daycare where she goes 3 days a week. They're very responsible, know her and have great staff. She has a large inside room like the size of a basketball court for rain or cold weather. There is a huge fenced property for them to run and play. 

At night she's in a "room", not a crate. I trust them implicitly. I've had more trouble w/ house sitters who took care of Molly, but left the house in shambles.  

Contributor

If she did a good job and the dog was well taken care, I consider $10.00 each time she came over as an absolute bargain - all the pet minders that I know and use charge much more than that, no matter which part of the country I have been living.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pet sitting fee

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

DH and I recently went away for a few days.  Usually the person that keeps the dog, has us take her to their home, this time she said she would come by several times a day to our house instead of keeping her at their home.

That was fine with us, the dog was probably happier being at home.

She charged $10.00 each time she came by.  She only had to feed her and let her out.  The yard is fenced in so she did not have to be outside with her.  Each day she came by different times...the day we left only 2 times, the full day we were gone 4x and the day we came home 2x.

The pet sitter lives about 3 blocks from our home.

I am just curious about her fee, do you find that to be a suitable charge?

@Mom2Dogs 

My wife has had her Pet Sitting, in the Clients Home business, going on 5 years now. She has been gone almost every day in November, still gone, and has many days in December booked.

Her business I would call: House Sitting/Pet Sitting all in one. In that 5 years she has not raised her costs to her clients, in spite of my suggestions to do so. 

She charges $40 per day for 1 dog(pet), and I think, $10 each per additional pets. She tells all her clients not to expect her to be there 24/7, as she does go out for food and maybe other shopping. If she is closer to home she stops in for an hour or so visit with me and our 4 furry ones.

She does have 1 friend she worked with, before she retired, that has 3 cats. With those she goes twice a day to spend a couple hours with the cats, and cleans the litter boxes and feeds them.

Not sure what she charges, but considering it is a 20+ mile drive each way and present gas prices? I am sure, knowing her, it is not enough. It's her Business and I don't discuss her prices with her anymore. 

I have met people interested I met ice skating and if they ask, I give them her business card that has her cell number.  And she is certified in pet CPR. She has many clients now because of "word of mouth praise", and at times has to turn down, even some of her best clients if she is already booked for specific dates.

As most pet owners know, their furry ones prefer their own familiar surroundings. Some even get traumatized when taken to a Pet Kennel, and I assume, some even in any unfamiliar surroundings.

Now for what I think in your situation! Coming 4x a day from 3 blocks for a "feed" and an "in and out", and $40? If only my wife had that arrangement for the same that she charges for "Home and Pet Sitting".

Sounds like a few quick bucks, and heck, I would do the same if I wanted to make some easy money. But I can't resist spending time with animals, especially those I am sure get lonely when the ones they own are gone.

Only you can decide, but have you checked other venues for sitters you can trust? Our Vet even gives out my wife's cards and gives her very high recommendation to his Clients.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

It sounds reasonable to me.  My friend's dog sitter charges $45 a day, she goes to the house 3 times a day.  

Respected Contributor

THat is dirt cheap! Be thankful. 

Respected Contributor

My darling cat is taken care of by a pet sitter who spends one hour each day with her.  Her fee is $25.  Sounds like a good proposition if you are comfortable with her in your home.

Honored Contributor

I think $10.00 a visit is fair and it's also important to have a person you feel comfortable coming into your home.

We have someone stay the week with Shadow and walk him as well in our woods (the guys love it!).  We pay $400.00 for the entire week, even if they work.  We have peace of mind and not a worry at all!

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

We have someone stay the week with Shadow and walk him as well in our woods (the guys love it!).  We pay $400.00 for the entire week, even if they work.  We have peace of mind and not a worry at all!

@ECBG 

Gotta show your post to my wife. Staying 7 full days at her price for 1 dog?  That would come to a whopping $280, and that is her full time job for the days/nights she is hired.

As I said in my previous post to @Mom2Dogs , after talking with her about her charges after her first 2 years! She made it obvious, as she is like me in, "tell it like it is". My input to her business charges are not wanted.

Whole House and Pet Sitting combined, for $40 a day. I just SMH.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pet sitting fee

[ Edited ]

@Hoovermom wrote:

My darling cat is taken care of by a pet sitter who spends one hour each day with her.  Her fee is $25.  Sounds like a good proposition if you are comfortable with her in your home.

@Hoovermom 

Hmm! $25 per hour sounds like a pretty good gig to me. Took me 33 years to make half that per hour, and lots of very hot and heavy work.

If you're happy and your darling cat's happy! That's all that counts. 

=^..^=

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Trix   I did not specify how long to stay and no, I did not ask or expect her to clean up afer the dog.  Our yard is fenced in, she just let her out and then back in...I take care of the yard.

thanks all for the replies.  I was not complaining about the charge just curious about the cost as compared to what others might have paid.

I am glad you asked this question.  I pet sit primarily cats and I let the owner set the fee.

They have never asked me what I charge but the majority of my jobs are inside of a high-rise where I live so there is no travel requirement. 

I have dog-sat before but after reading your post I think I need to be the one to request the fee.