Honored Contributor

DH and I recently went away for a few days.  Usually the person that keeps the dog, has us take her to their home, this time she said she would come by several times a day to our house instead of keeping her at their home.

That was fine with us, the dog was probably happier being at home.

She charged $10.00 each time she came by.  She only had to feed her and let her out.  The yard is fenced in so she did not have to be outside with her.  Each day she came by different times...the day we left only 2 times, the full day we were gone 4x and the day we came home 2x.

The pet sitter lives about 3 blocks from our home.

I am just curious about her fee, do you find that to be a suitable charge?

Contributor

I have two cats (I know that is a lot different than a dog), but when I go away, I have a lady who comes once a day to feed them and change water, clean litter box, and she will bring my mail in and water plants too. She charges $20 per day. If I had a dog and were in your situation, I would ask her to come twice a day at $10 each time. I think that is reasonable. I would set the # of visits up front. 

Honored Contributor

What a bargain!

I have never used this type of service, but I looked into it.  It was quoted about $25 a visit or $75 a day where I live.  If the dog stays at the sitters place with an overnight included,  it is a flat $75 for one dog. 

If you have a good person you can 100% trust, that is the important part. They are difficult to find.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's reasonable.  Even if she only stayed a half-hour I assume that you expected her to pick up poop and spend a brief period interacting with the dog.  The fee for most boarding places would have averaged more than $10 per hour (or in this case visit) and your dog would have spent most of the time cooped up and not roaming freely around the familiar surroundings of its home.  

Respected Contributor

I think $10 per visit is very fair.  As another poster said, if the dog were at a kennel, he'd probably be cooped up all day.  Our dog's happiness is very important to us.  (Golden Retriever - LOOOOOOVE her SOOOOO much!)

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

Yes, that's quite reasonable and nice your dogs didn't have to be boarded either.

Honored Contributor

@Trix   I did not specify how long to stay and no, I did not ask or expect her to clean up afer the dog.  Our yard is fenced in, she just let her out and then back in...I take care of the yard.

thanks all for the replies.  I was not complaining about the charge just curious about the cost as compared to what others might have paid.

Honored Contributor

Actually on the low side.

We pay $25.00 a visit.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Low compared to where I live.  I would be very happy to pay that amount, especially knowing the person is reliable and caring.  It's a bargain.

Regular Contributor

That fee is very resonable.  I don't trust anyone with my animals, when we went out of town they only stayed with my parents.  I don't understand how people can leave their dogs at a kennel, I would be a nervous wreck.