Honored Contributor

Re: People Who Grate on Your Nerves

@Foxxee wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

To criticize a person who has criticized someone or something can be a moral imperative, @Foxxee. It depends upon context.

@suzyQ3 

Yes, human behavior is complex.

It's also a feeling of "moral superiority."  It makes them feel better about themselves. "I would never say or do such a thing, so that makes me a better person than you."  Sometimes moral superiority is an overreaction to feelings of inferiority, inferiority masquerading as superiority.  

A whole different animal, @Foxxee 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I try to not make snap judgments but sometimes I know immediately when my personality and another's are not going to mesh. The overbearing know-it-all and the one who's every action screams look-at-me are high on my list of Nope. On the flip side, I have come to value generosity of spirit and truthfulness more every year. And anyone who will laugh at my "wit" is high on my list of good folk.

One thing I'm grateful for is that I have over the years become less judgmental as life has humbled me. More than a few times I've come to know someone better and realized that perhaps it was me and my circumstances at that moment that colored my opinion and not them.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

To criticize a person who has criticized someone or something can be a moral imperative, @Foxxee. It depends upon context.

@suzyQ3 

Yes, human behavior is complex.

It's also a feeling of "moral superiority."  It makes them feel better about themselves. "I would never say or do such a thing, so that makes me a better person than you."  Sometimes moral superiority is an overreaction to feelings of inferiority, inferiority masquerading as superiority.  

A whole different animal, @Foxxee 

@suzyQ3 

No, they are not the same.  I said "Yes," meaning Moral Imperative and Moral Superiority are often used together.  Then, I said, "Human behavior is complex."

Moral Imperative is a strongly felt principle that compels that person to act. Something must be done that is extremely important.

Moral Superiority is the belief that one's actions are justified by having higher moral values than others.

Respected Contributor

Personalities come across loud and clear whether it's in real life, TV, or chat forums.Smiley Wink

Trusted Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

Because people are jerks. 

Ooooo, name calling.  Woman LOL   I got called on the carpet for that here.  I guess some are "permitted" while others are not.  Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

The people that are on my nerves I am unable to name.  No one here and no one at Qvc.  Need I say more?

Trusted Contributor

I think it is hard being a salesperson.  That's all the hosts really

are, and they have to sell.

I can hear the sales tactics from almost all of them.  And I don't

blame them.

What I do most of the time is mute the shows.  I will then go

online and check out items mostly for detailed descriptions as

well as reviews.

Getting on my nerves?  I have in the past found myself saying

out loud (usually when I'm here by myself) "aw just shut u-!"

Honored Contributor

I have a show that's on here, not always my choice, and there's a rambler on it, who talks and rambles on and on, I have to get up and go do dishes.  Or the newspeople who are supposed to be asking a question.  Have you ever heard how long some of their questions are?  I'd forget the question, by the time they  are done filling in all their details.  I wonder if they do that for more "on air time" ?  It makes me want to tune out.