Honored Contributor

The unusual heat coming to the Pacific NW area OH MY!

Seattle area will reach  up to predicted 107 degrees in places  Man Surprised.... that is unpresidented heat for this area...  Most who live here have no air conditioning or the like....  

How are You who are being affected by this  hot hot weather preparing for the heat... do you have air conditioning or  some kind of cooling to get by?

We put in a heat pump two years ago, so we will be fine.   We had to replace a part about a month ago  that failed on the heatpump...... thank goodness the heat pump did not need the part THIS WEEKEND!   I deep watered all my big fir trees to prepare for the warm temps for the projected next 10 days at least. 

My mexican Rescue pup seems to love the warm temps... she wants to be outside most of the day no matter how hot... she does like a shady spot though!   I put a big fresh bowl of water out there for her too... and keep the bird baths full of fresh water for the birds daily. 

Respected Contributor

Re: The unusual heat coming to the Pacific NW area OH MY!

@SeaMaiden  And all others in this area, please take care and be safe.

I live in Illinois and we have had some of these high temps in the past, but only rarely.  I remember back in 1987, I think, we had 105.  These high temps are brutal and must be scary in an area that never has them.  Especially when air conditioning is not the norm.

Sounds like you are prepared Sea Maiden.  Glad you had your repair done before all of these temps hit.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

Poor grand pup was born over by Astoria.  I was over mid afternoon yesterday, and she was so hot she flopped down on the driveway, in the shade, on my feet, and panted with her tongue out on the concrete.

Drama Queen!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in Arizona and air conditioning is a must. Stay indoors,wear comfortable clothes, drink water and  do a whole lot of nothing. We are used to it. We hibernate May thru October. 

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I live in Arizona and air conditioning is a must. Stay indoors,wear comfortable clothes, drink water and  do a whole lot of nothing. We are used to it. We hibernate May thru October. 

@Meowingkitty    I know several posters as yourself who are use to the hot weather... yes, we here are weather whimps I guess... it is unusual for us...

but with the changes going on in the environment now... looks like the west and the pacific NW  is getting hotter and more drought prone too... let us pray that we do not have the fires like we had last year here making the air so bad it was like smoking cigarettes to be outside in it this past summer....

Honored Contributor

Hopefully, people can purchase an air conditioning unit window or free standiing.  I remember when it was 110 in Chicago years ago.  It was horrible.  I can handle the cold over the heat.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden  Our local news, weather, and govt. say to make sure pets are indoors before heat hits 90 degrees. Heat can cause death in humans and pets. And, hot concrete can burn pets' paws. Here, people can be prosecuted for not keeping their pets in a climate-controlled environment.

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@Meowingkitty   Stay inside and pretend like you're in Minnesota in January.  Similar unlivable conditions.

Our monsoon has started!  Monday and Tuesday are supposed to be in 70s and a good chance of rain every day next week.  June has been brutal but it's always our hottest month.  It was 55° at my house early this morning near Albuquerque. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden ---I am in Woodinville---holy cow!!! can you believe this??? Hottest it got was 103* in 2009---but this is from the bowels of hE!!--- got  portable a/c units for each bedroom and 4 fans for the main small living space in my apt. Have gotten all stocked up with food and drink--and will hibernate for these next few days---have a stripey cat that I need to watch--she is an indoor girl anyway but still wearing that fur coat------Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Poor grand pup was born over by Astoria.  I was over mid afternoon yesterday, and she was so hot she flopped down on the driveway, in the shade, on my feet, and panted with her tongue out on the concrete.

Drama Queen!

@Still Raining    Dogs don't do drama queen.  It was in distress and need to be inside where it was cooler.  Driveway is the hottest part of a property and could be over 130° degrees. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment