Respected Contributor

I want to feel alive again. I have been really ill so I trying to get back into making my house, and yard look alive again, and maybe I will feel more alive also. But I need to cool it unless I donate some thing that I will never use. But I don't want to be hasty about doing so until I get well enough to enjoy little by little enjoying cooking, and my yard, and chairs I purchased. Sunshine is my intension to get out and sit outside a bit with my husband. Being retired makes you think about , maybe I can't  replacing something real useful. I tell my husband to just give something away, and i won't miss it. But he said No. You'll do better enjoying it.

Respected Contributor

Mine don't always appreciate what I give them and feel as though I want to unload my house and fill up things they won't use. I enjoy giving to strangers. I cleaned out my storage unit for example and I open the trunk to put my groceries in and I saw one of the girls who works in the store and she was sitting on the break table out front and sked her if she needed some dishes ans she was so happy to get them, plus some storage shelves and yard decorations and she was happy to get them. So most I didn't cart home because I had no room and that's why I had the storage unit. So that's what I do. I have place things in the past just out front of my house, explained the item and put "FREE " and it was gone in a few momrnts. So all is happy. Try it , it works.

Honored Contributor

I no longer impulse shop. I actually go through my closet if it is for clothing and see what I need and then look for it. If it is more than I want to spend, I will wait for a sale, or coupons.....I have really gotten into mixing and matching for clothing and it really helps you not to spend more than needed..

For skincare/makeup I have really cut back......I have simplified my routine and plan to use what I have before purchasing more, also if I want to try a new product, i will search Ebay for it first to try before purchasing full price....I have found with several things that I didn't like them well enough to purchase after sampling them.

I stop myself and say is this really necessary? Or do you just want it? It takes a lot of discipline, but it does help to simplify.....   

Honored Contributor

Re: Overshopping...

[ Edited ]

I don’t have a “ stash” of anything. I buy a bottle of shampoo. When I am  about to run out, I buy another one. I don’t have a space or a need for a dozen bottles, or a gallon, of shampoo.
I have no “gift closet”. My garbage man will have to wait a long time for his Christmas gift.
I have everything I need. I don’t need everything I want...and I know the difference.

Esteemed Contributor

I think there just comes a time when a lot of people recognize that enough is enough, especially if a credit card is used to make purchases. My ex and I got into that bad habit about 35 years ago with eating out almost every night, taking too many expensive vacations several times a year, and just shopping for more than we needed. It took us awhile to pay off the credit card debt and finally build up some savings. It was hard, but it sure felt good!

If you can't afford to pay cash, then just wait until you can, and if you can't pay off your credit card balances, then don't use the credit card. Much of the stuff we think we need just ends up taking space in our lives and can leave a person in a financial bind. It's just not worth it. Set a goal for saving a specific amount and you'll find that is more important than a closet full or house full of things that you don't really need. Buy what you truly need, but nothing more until you get your finances in order.

Respected Contributor

I love to read so when I go into a bookstore I'll write down the title and go to eBay and look for that particular book in the used books.   I've gotten so many nice books that way and most of them are like new.  

I also use our public library quite a bit.   I can't remember the last time  I bought a brand new book.    I'm not an ebook user.    I love the feeling of holding a book in my hand.

Respected Contributor

Re: Overshopping...

[ Edited ]

@Sweet_Serenity: George Carlin's stand up about all of the stuff we collect is hilarious, but so true!!! Smiley LOL

Respected Contributor

Yes if a major life event such as a death or illness will make you shop more. I have been there. I will say if you can't fully pay your charge off at the end of the month then you are over shopping. Getting things on sale & paying the charge with interest wasn't a deal. Simple math. I got 2 letters last week discover & home depot are increasing their interest rates about 2-3% more than the regular 20%. Read your mail. Who wants to even pay 20% in interest?  Take charge of your finances, you work for your money let your money work for you. Save it get a ROTH savings acct. What is a ROTH google it way better than a saving acct. DD got in over her head, had a ROTH so she could pay her charges off, she understands. So many people don't understand money, can't buy every thing you want unless you save for it. 

Respected Contributor

Clothes take up space in your closet go threw it donate, how much do you really need?  DH retired wow most clothes went to charity, no more suits, ties & half the dress shoes. You have closet room you just keep things you don't need. So simple and just understand. 

Regular Contributor

@cbrite wrote:

It did not make me happier in the end..

It did not make me prettier in the end..

It did not make me more secure in the end..

It did not make me younger in the end...

It did not bring me good friends in the end..

It made my family upset that I did not choose to save for my future...

It made me realize I was trying to fix myself in all the wrong ways...

It did not bring me love in the end..

@cbrite 

Love that!