Super Contributor

A very honest poster was trying to get advice for her overshopping.We all at some point  find ourselves shopping  instead of confronting our  real issues. Just a few things that helped me..

Make a seasonal list of needs and wants

Promise to buy nothing Until you shop your entire stash and closets.

This will take time and thought.You will probably find most of your needs and wants.

Get excited with your finds you already own.Mix .Match..twirl .try on .

organize your stuff.It will give you access  to enjoy.

lastly make a list of stuff you want..Get a jar .Save dollar bills .Change.Save up for that special item.It will make you really feel good. Keep your grooming impecable.Nails.Hair.. everything else is icing on the cake! 

You will be looking good .Feeling in control and making good choices!

Esteemed Contributor

I always make myself wait 24 hours and if I still think about it I buy. This has worked for me. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Overshopping...

[ Edited ]

Minimalist my entire life keeps it simple. Frugality, Is the reason being able to afford early retirement fifty three. Less is more is my mantra in all areas of my life. Learned early on, invest in your retirement, served me well.  

Edited:

George Carlin: Talks About Stuff. YouTube. Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

you would be surprized at what you really don't  need. andcan do without./

Respected Contributor

It did not make me happier in the end..

It did not make me prettier in the end..

It did not make me more secure in the end..

It did not make me younger in the end...

It did not bring me good friends in the end..

It made my family upset that I did not choose to save for my future...

It made me realize I was trying to fix myself in all the wrong ways...

It did not bring me love in the end..

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Super Contributor

Re: Overshopping...

[ Edited ]

So much good ,solid real  advice.This is how we respect each other as women.No put downs...Sharing how we live and learn.Thank you for the replies.I am sure these will  make a difference to someone. Human to Human, Lifes lessons...

Honored Contributor

I worked hard for my money, and don’t like to spend it.   

I grew up in the country on a farm, but always had exactly what I needed.   I have never felt deprived, or felt like I needed to buy more stuff to make up for something I missed out on, or wanted so badly and didn’t get.   I’ve always had just enough, and at 63, realize I can live quite well with even less.

What I have now, isn’t going with me.  If I have things that aren’t being used, or are things my daughters are not interested in, I’m getting rid of them now.   I don’t want to be tied to stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

My grandpa use to tell me to really think before I spent my money, about if I really needed whatever I was wanting to buy or not.

Honestly, some days I do better than others.

It is nice to have a nest egg and to know that if we have some sort of catastrophe, we will be ok and have enough to take care of it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that financial peace of mind cannot be bought at the mall.

Esteemed Contributor

Great thoughts here. I will add that I try to shop guilt-free by thrifting. Sure, I shop for clothes here, but I also shop Ebay for clothes and local thrift stores / yard and rummage sales for antiques and home decor. I also buy slightly used when it comes to cars and drive them 'til the wheels fall off.

Shopping high/ low is my style. Always try to be respectful of my budget.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

For me, when I shop online, I'll get to the "Complete Order" page, and I'll look at the price, and I'll think to myself, "Do I really need this?"

Most of the time, the answer is "No", so I close out, dumping the sale.

For example, today I went to a tea website, and had items in my cart. When I got to the total page, I saw the price, and decided that I didn't really need the tea, so I closed out of the page, never completing  the sale.

On Amazon, majority of the time, items go on my "Wish List".

I have a very long "Wish List".

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.