Honored Contributor

Next week, think we'll start ordering groceries again.

May do it through the winter and until, things get a bit better re: virus.  At least I hope so.

Some things are so high or low on the shelves, they have become difficult for us to get to.  I'll let people who still have more  working, or better working parts get and reach those for us.  In good weather we can try and see again.

Honored Contributor

I order my groceries online too.  Due to budget changes during covid, I get my center store goods and dairy from Walmart.  They deliver to me for free.

I get my produce and meat from my favorite grocery store. I order online, they shop it, and I pick them up at drive up.  They offer delivery for a fee so I don't use that very often.

Respected Contributor

DH has been doing ours on line and using curbside pick up at Publix since they required mask wearing. He says it is fine and he doesn't even have to walk all around the store. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Ordering groceries...

[ Edited ]

I have been ordering delivery from Big Y (CT) through Instacart since March. Use this for most of my big orders. I do miss shopping for myself, but glad to have this service.

In July, when numbers were low here...I started to shop Fresh Market, much smaller than Big Y, more specialty... by going right when they open, using my own bags to collect items.  Hardly anyone if anyone there at that time, in and out...still doing this maybe every other week. Certain things I get only here. Of course I run in "for only a few staples" and always $80-100 later....

Not sure our local Walmart has groceries, (sounds funny to say I don't know, but I was never in there much before, never paid attention to food...they only have chips and things at ours.) But Walmart in the next town over does...you've got me thinking about ordering and pickup there. Gotta start saving money where I could be, and I've realized lately on FB, someone posted, they carry many items didin't realize they had, for much less.

In the summertime it was great, we had one local outside market we shopped at weekly for all fresh produce, and some other pantry jarred and baked items too. Was great, fresh and very reasonable. And we liked supporting the little guy farmer's market.

Now that that's over I am lucky to live by another more commecial farm market staple in our town...went in last week for about what I'd buy at the outdoor farm market...much more expensive. 

So, like everyone...still figuring it out, adjusting as I go...but yes...mostly still doing delivery where I can, being "safe" the rest of the time...and only essential stores for now.  

Honored Contributor

Started with Instacart at the beginning of the pandemic and continued with it.  Haven't been to a supermarket in months.  Instacart gave me Wegmans, a hutge supermarket I love, but kind far to travel.  So I order every week from them.  I'm quite happy with Instacart.  

Trusted Contributor

in the past year I have been inside a store exactly 3 times. I do curbside pickup and do not expect that to change.  I  rarely if ever have a problem.

Esteemed Contributor

I think its a good idea. I have done a hand full of run ins at wal mart since this started and the longer it goes the more lax folks are getting in my area. 

Esteemed Contributor

The last 3 weeks I've masked up and went shopping in non-peek hours .With the upsurge of the virus we will go back to ordering.

I did pick up with Aldi's a month ago, rather than delivery. I was much happier with the produce on pick up. It's an Aldi's employee that shops instead of Instacart.  When it's bad weather I'll go back to delivery.

Respected Contributor

I've started using Instacart and have been more than pleased.  I do not use it for meats or fish or fresh vegetables because I prefer to select my own.It's been an absolute pleasure especially ordering the water and soda and laundry  detergent which are the heavy items.  Delivery right to my front door! So much easier for me. The tip is well worth it and save me time and the trouble of so many trips from the trunk to inside the house. At 74, I am thrilled to make my life easier and safer.  When they pull into my driveway, they leave everything at the front door and when they leave, I bring everything in..........no contact.  Pure pleasure!

Esteemed Contributor

I like doing my own shopping. In the Spring we used Instacart & a direct delivery service. Wasn't thrilled with the quality of produce or the substitutions. But if the virus gets bad in my area of New York I will have no choice.