Trusted Contributor

Image may contain: text

Honored Contributor

I kinda like being old. Got lots of experiences to think back to(or is it on?), mostly good ones. And my joints are doin just fine. I will stick with Physiological Age, not the chronological number. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Would you like some more?  I have plenty to share.. Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

@hckynut is to commended. He and his wife have been through hell with health issues, but he still has a positive attitude.

Yes, getting old stinks when it comes to health issues, but I choose not to sit around all day long boohooing about it on these boards like many do. How depressing.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

The hardest thing I have had to deal with in aging, other than health issues, is many other people's attitudes towards it; to be dismissed due to my age is tough since I don't feel any less worthy as a human being.  I am not frail and still have my wits about me, I guess the calendar age means more to others than to me. I do not take kindly to being addressed as "dear" by 30-something store clerks...😡

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

The hardest thing I have had to deal with in aging, other than health issues, is many other people's attitudes towards it; to be dismissed due to my age is tough since I don't feel any less worthy as a human being.  I am not frail and still have my wits about me, I guess the calendar age means more to others than to me. I do not take kindly to being addressed as "dear" by 30-something store clerks...😡

Honestly, I'll take "dear" to "ma'am" any day.  

Esteemed Contributor

What is "old" anyway? Some days I feel old, but once I start moving around, I feel better.

As far as older folks, I've always enjoyed being around older people.Also, I am reminded of my aunt who was NEVER old in my eyes, and she use to say how once you reach a certain age, its as if people don't even see you. I miss her so very much.

Regular Contributor

Having my share of age related aches and pains doesn’t slow me down from living my best life.

I saw a delightful HBO documentary called If you’re not in orbit, eat breakfast.   It is narrated by Carl Reiner, Mel Brooks and features many octogenarians.  All of them seem to share the same sage advice which is keep moving.  Do something.  Have a passion.  Have a schedule.  Etc

Respected Contributor

I am often referred to as "Miss" by young men in retail stores. I just start laughing. Better than being called, "Old lady".

I have a close friend/neighbor who calls everyone "Honey". Men, women, children, it doesn't matter. That's just her. She is the kindest, most giving person I know. She has a very big heart. She puts everyone else's needs before her own. Even when she is hurting, she always has a smile on her face.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

What is "old" anyway? Some days I feel old, but once I start moving around, I feel better.

As far as older folks, I've always enjoyed being around older people.Also, I am reminded of my aunt who was NEVER old in my eyes, and she use to say how once you reach a certain age, its as if people don't even see you. I miss her so very much.

Hi @happycat

Your aunt sounds like someone I would have liked to have met. I think with "older" age, people around you see you as you are at specific times and places. Me? People may not always see me, but if it is in a "more than passing" fashion, in a short while they will hear me.

I do not interrupt conversations, but do however start conversations with people around me that aren't doing, or pretend to be doing, something. Seems like I always find a way to say something other than "nice/hot/cold weather" to people. 

Many times I wear clothes or footwear that might be conversation starters, and I do so specifically for that purpose. Doesn't always work, but I have met a lot of people that way. And, I know it's hard to believe, but I really am a "listener" also.     =^..^=

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)