Honored Contributor

Re: ORIGIN OF CHRISTMAS STOCKINGS

As children we hung up stockings on Dec 5 for St. Nicholas.  We would receive a small toy, one candy bar, nuts and fruits.  Plus we did not have beautiful stockings.  We used washed Dad's argyle socks.  lol

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I don’t celebrate Christmas, but always wondered about the meaning of everyone in the family having a stocking. Is there a story or explanation behind this?

@Shanus, I don't know the meaning but I love your post!   We had no fireplace growing up so Santa hung them on our bedposts while we slept on Christmas Eve.  I remember being almost more excited to open my stocking Christmas morning than my presents, lol.  You brought back wonderful memories for me with your question, thanks Shanus!   Heart

Honored Contributor

I know our tradition was to always have stockings for Christmas, and when very young, they were for fruit, nuts and coloring books and crayons. 

When my son was little, we had to wait for my mom to get awake and come over on Christmas morning, so I always made a super full stocking that he would find in his room when he woke up. I filled it with all kinds of things to keep him busy for an hour or so until she would get here. 

I think I have more fun filling stockings than buying the big gifts. I still do one for everyone in the family, including the pets!

Respected Contributor

Hi, @Shanus  Thanks for wondering.  Wouldn't it be fun to have meanings for other traitions explained for all to enjoy and understand?!

As far as the stockings go I was always told the story is that 3 young women in a family were to be given away because their poor family could not afford to keep them .  St. Nicholas hid a bag of gold for each sister ( 3 ) in the stockings so they would not be cast out.  One of the symbols of a pawn shop is 3 gold balls. representing the 3 bags of gold St Nick left to help out the family.  Thats the story I was told anyway.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

My ds and dd both married Catholic spouses. I wanted them to feel “at home” visiting during the holidays, so incorporated a pre-lit artificial Hanukkah tree into our decor. It has Hanukkah ornaments (Christopher Radko makes gorgeous ones), non-religious ones like china beagles w/ their names on it, an ornament of photo frame w/ each couples’ pic, etc. Now my granddaughters have added snowflakes, Star of David pictures they make/cut out and enjoy putting on the tree each year. 

My dil has a tiny tree on a table in their house, but so appreciates this tree because it brings back holiday memories when she was growing up. Of course, Hanukkah and Christmas gifts pile up quickly under the tree. 

I know the tree signifies our acceptance of their spouses. 

@Shanus . That sounds lovely!

Growing up we didn't celebrate Christmas in our home.  For us it was Hanukkah too.  However when I married my husband who is Catholic (but really non-religious) we've been putting up a tree and other Christmas decor.  It's fun and non-religious.

As for your question, I have no idea but when my kids were little we would allow them to open their stockings while waiting for us to come down in the morning to open the gifts under the tree.

Honored Contributor

@Sueliz wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

I don’t celebrate Christmas, but always wondered about the meaning of everyone in the family having a stocking. Is there a story or explanation behind this?

@Shanus, I don't know the meaning but I love your post!   We had no fireplace growing up so Santa hung them on our bedposts while we slept on Christmas Eve.  I remember being almost more excited to open my stocking Christmas morning than my presents, lol.  You brought back wonderful memories for me with your question, thanks Shanus!   Heart

You are so welcome @Sueliz.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

My ds and dd both married Catholic spouses. I wanted them to feel “at home” visiting during the holidays, so incorporated a pre-lit artificial Hanukkah tree into our decor. It has Hanukkah ornaments (Christopher Radko makes gorgeous ones), non-religious ones like china beagles w/ their names on it, an ornament of photo frame w/ each couples’ pic, etc. Now my granddaughters have added snowflakes, Star of David pictures they make/cut out and enjoy putting on the tree each year. 

My dil has a tiny tree on a table in their house, but so appreciates this tree because it brings back holiday memories when she was growing up. Of course, Hanukkah and Christmas gifts pile up quickly under the tree. 

I know the tree signifies our acceptance of their spouses. 

@Shanus . That sounds lovely!

Growing up we didn't celebrate Christmas in our home.  For us it was Hanukkah too.  However when I married my husband who is Catholic (but really non-religious) we've been putting up a tree and other Christmas decor.  It's fun and non-religious.

As for your question, I have no idea but when my kids were little we would allow them to open their stockings while waiting for us to come down in the morning to open the gifts under the tree.

@haddon9  We put the tree up before Halloween and it stays up until end of January....I love the twinkling white lights and don’t care much for rules.