Honored Contributor

Re: ORIGIN OF CHRISTMAS STOCKINGS

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I never really knew for certain the real reason for stockings other than that was the only place for his gifts.  Nothing under a tree for a long long time.

When I was a child it was just for fruit, candy and very smallish inexpensive fun gifts.  For my son one item was always an M&M candy cane in his every year.  The year he was 19 he asked if I was mad at him?  There was no M&M candy cane in his stocking just small gifts and a bit of cash.  Well now he is 35 with his own family and I still give him and his family their own stockings with M&M candy canes in all four.  Children, regardless of their age you got love them!!!!!!!!!  Makes me smile to think he still wants that stocking on Christmas morning.

@beckyb1012Some kids never want to grow up. That’s so sweet, though. I think there’s a little Peter Pan in all of us. 

Trusted Contributor

Oh this is a fun question.  I don't celebrate but I adore hearing the stories, traditions of those that do.  Thanks for sharing.

I'm new here, but want to echo another poster,  @Shanus I too hope today is a better day for you.  You have been kind and helpful to me.  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

My mom never did the stocking thing for us as kids. I never did it for my kids. I think its a rather silly custom but I know a lot hang stockings and put gifts in them. I only hang stockings on my fireplace for decoration. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian wrote:

Oh this is a fun question.  I don't celebrate but I adore hearing the stories, traditions of those that do.  Thanks for sharing.

I'm new here, but want to echo another poster,  @Shanus I too hope today is a better day for you.  You have been kind and helpful to me.  Thank you.

Thanks so much @Misplaced Parisian

Esteemed Contributor

Didn't know how they originated but Santa filled stockings at our house until the kids moved out on their own.  Thank God for BIG apples and the Life Saver boxes!  Strangely, Santa always left a flashlight!  The kids loved these when they were little.

Respected Contributor

Dutch children then, typically put out their shoes by the fireplace or heater if no fireplace. The stocking was my favorite. We opened gifts Christmas eve so the stocking was in the morning. I loved the small boxes of jewelry I received.

Honored Contributor

It's interesting that so many of the customs come from Holland.  I think there's also one old tradition of children putting out their wooden shoes for "Father Christmas" or St. Nicholas to fill with chocolate coins....

My mother was mad for Christmas traditons, almost like a child, and we had a lot of them.  Sometimes the stockings would be hung up, but sometimes we would wake up to find the bulging, knobby stocking on our beds, almost spilling over their contents!   Exciting to feel them and imagine what was inside before opening.

I did excitedly believe in Santa Claus for a long time, although that never has taken the place of the reverence and awe of the real meaning of Christmas.  

Oh, some years I do "surprise" Christmas stockings for hubby and son--   candy, electronic things, grooming stuff, etc. 

Honored Contributor

For those who love the stories, my dear late Grandmother who was born in 1918 was a generation of stocking's only for Christmas no other gifts.  With seven children in her family and on a large farm shopping was done early.  Oranges were a very very rare treat and some years only at Christmas.  She said it would drive them crazy smelling the oranges a few days before Christmas hidden in their parent's bedroom.  Her brothers one year could not stand it and got into them but did not eat all.  Needless to say the brothers had no oranges on Christmas morning.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One of the  Christmas animated Santa Claus shows they said they did that for Santa to hide the children's toys in since the Bergermeister didn't allow the town's children to have toys.  It's cute to see at Christmas time.  It has the voice of Mickey Rooney in it.  His character is red haired.  I'm a child when those are on. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012  My MIL was born in 1922 and always added an orange to each of our stockings! You added a little history to those oranges for me. She was from Iowa and her parents probably didn't have access to oranges in December, either. Thanks! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.