Honored Contributor

Re: Need help decluttering...Cookbooks!

You can probably get rid of the Marybeth Roe and Suzanne Somers cookbooks.  But the other ones I don't know, maybe hang on to them a while longer.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for all your suggestions.

@ValuSkr wrote:

You can probably get rid of the Marybeth Roe and Suzanne Somers cookbooks.  But the other ones I don't know, maybe hang on to them a while longer.

ValuSkr

Why do you think I should keep JoAnna Lund's longer?

For those who weren't around then, JoAnna Lund use to be on Q during the 90's. She wrote several cookbooks. She was from a small town, DeWitt, Iowa. She developed healthy recipes to change the way she and her family ate and help her to lose weight. She said at age 46 she weighed close to 300 pounds By age 50 she had lost 130 pounds and kept it off for more than six years. She was a very down to earth and sweet person. Unfortunately, she passed away in 2006 from Breast cancer. I liked and admired her and her story. I guess that's one of the reasons I was having a problem getting rid of her books. 

ValuEd you are right! I just decided to keep JoAnna Lund's and donate the others!

Thanks everyone!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

ValuSkr

For those who weren't around then, JoAnna Lund use to be on Q during the 90's. She wrote several cookbooks. She was from a small town, DeWitt, Iowa. She developed healthy recipes to change the way she and her family ate and help her to lose weight. She said at age 46 she weighed close to 300 pounds By age 50 she had lost 130 pounds and kept it off for more than six years. She was a very down to earth and sweet person. Unfortunately, she passed away in 2006 from Breast cancer. I liked and admired her and her story. I guess that's one of the reasons I was having a problem getting rid of her books. 

ValuEd you are right! I just decided to keep JoAnna Lund's and donate the others!

Thanks everyone!

@Starpolisher wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

ValuSkr

ValuSkr you are right! I just decided to keep JoAnna Lund's and donate the others!

Thanks everyone!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

over the past 5 or so years I have got rid of books, either by selling some on Amz or donating. 

By now you know which ones you need, let them go to good homes.  I have to say I have not regretted getting rid of any of them.

Some one in our town has just started a "swap and barter" group on Facebook, perhaps there is something similar in your town, or donate to a local library book sale

Contributor

Starpolisher

I have been searching for a couple of years for Mary Beth's cookbooks all over. I would buy those from you. As for the others, the library is a great idea. I just did that myself. I have over 400 cookbooks. Talk about a problem! I donated a lot but will keep the ones i really like.

Judy

Super Contributor

Hi starpolisher,

I had to do the same thing a few years ago when we moved and it was so hard trying to decide which ones to keep. I had a lot of them, so I separated them into 2 piles, definite keep and undecided.   I looked through the recipes in each of the undecided books, marking the recipes I either had made before or that sounded good.  If I had only marked a few recipes, I made copies and put it in a donate pile and if I marked a lot, I kept it.  Yes, it was time consuming, but in the end, I didn't have that nagging feeling of I wish I had kept it. When I had a good but managable size pile, I shared with friends, then coworkers and then our neighborhood library and continued that way until there weren't any left.  I do like homegirls idea of creating a list or chart, wish I would have done that.  Good luck

tkins

Esteemed Contributor

I donated most of mine to our local library. I found myself using the Betty Crocker cookbook  most of the time that was given to us as a wedding present back in 1964. I also have a notebook where I've saved favorites from friends and family over the years. With the internet these days, you can find a recipe for whatever your heart desires on-line.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Valued Contributor

starpolisher, Maybe now that you've retired you may use then more.  Take a few minutes one day and go through them one more time to see if you really want to get rid of them.

You will probably still have some to get rid of, and  that will be your decluttering solution. 

I have given discarded cookbooks to Goodwill.

Honored Contributor

We have a lot of books.  I go through sections of them at a time and either sell them to a used bookstore we frequent or donate them to the public library.

The library has a once a year sale on donated books to help fund their projects, so it's a good cause. 

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices