Trusted Contributor

In Easter Orthodox countries and Roman Catholics, we do celebrate every year a day and that's called Name Day.

It is associated with our given name, today per example in Greece is 21 May and all names such as Dina, Konstantina, Dinos, Konstantine and Hellen is our Name Day.

In Greece, it is a very strong tradition to celberate Name day.The name is dedicated to the Saint. Today'scelebration has two Saint name, Saint Constantine and Saint Helen.

If I was in Greece (it would have been an open house celebration), meaning that I would had invited my friends in my house, to a restaurant or to a bar so all of those well wishers may be welcomed. They would have bring to me gifts, flowers, post cards anything.

I, would then offer them drinks, meals that I prepared and if I was celebrating my Name Day out, I would had to pay the bill.

If my parents and Godparents were alive, I would expect from them money Woman Happy

Now, if the Name Day and Birthday are close days together, the celebrations are indeed merged together.

So yea, today is my Name day!

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Respected Contributor

@Dinaki   That's very interesting.  My birthday is May 2 so I would have had to combine them.  I am from Romanian heritage but we never celebrated this day.  My grandmother went to the Romanian Orthodox church, but my mother changed to Catholic.  But we just didn't know about this.  Enjoy and hope you have lots of fun.  

Valued Contributor

Happy Name Day.  I am Italian so am familiar with traditions like that.  My father was born in Italy.  Went to Italy twice and always hoped I would able to visit a Greece.  It certainly looks like a beautiful country.

Trusted Contributor

@Dinaki  Happy Name Day!

Honored Contributor

I am named after a PAGAN goddess....(OUCH!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥