Respected Contributor

This is unbelievable! My driveway in my condo shares 4 driveways. I had backed my car in, I'm on the end. I was taking my dog out at 2:30 pm and I look and my drivers side door is smashed in! Someone would have been tboning my car in order to do this.

I immediately drove my car to the Police to file a report. No note, no NOTHING!  File the report, go to my body shop to get estimate at over $2500. On my way home, Officer calls me and informs me we got them! He went over to my Nextdoor neighbor and they confessed!!!! They are ticketed for fleeing and eluding the scene, $2500 FINE in my state. 

Now their family is begging me to drop the charges, I'm refusing. Had they just come to me, this wouldn't be happening. Who knows if they'd EVER come to me.

The Officer really went over the top for me, he had a feeling. I sure could never imagine a neighbor doing this. I'm angry. All it would have taken was a note to me or a knock on the door.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Neighbor Smashed My Car!

don't understand why you drove your car to the police station.....why didn't the police examine the damage while it was in your driveway.....

Respected Contributor

I'd ask why they didn't  tell me if they knew it was my car, then forgive & forgot...since no one was hurt & the car is just a thing that can be repaired I'd let it go. 

Esteemed Contributor

It would have ticked me off as well. They obviously know where you live, so they could have told you. It makes me think that they were trying to evade the consequences.

I am unsure what I would do. On one hand, I think they were trying to get away with something, on the other hand these are your neighbors, how difficult are they going to make your life moving forward. I would be concerned about your dog. People are evil and vindictive. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kitcat51 wrote:

I'd ask why they didn't  tell me if they knew it was my car, then forgive & forgot...since no one was hurt & the car is just a thing that can be repaired I'd let it go. 

really?!  forgive and forget?! they didn't even leave a note.....not acceptable.....i would not let it go....certainly tells you something about the person who hit the car......jmo....

Honored Contributor

Tell them you'll "forget it" if they pay the repair bill.  Hope they have insurance!

Respected Contributor

no way would I let it go.if person has car insurance,which I'm sure she does,her insurance rate will go up for filing a claim.this is nonsense for anyone let alone a neighbor not confess to this.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nana59   some police departments won't come to your house unless it's something serious.

Honored Contributor

@nana59 What dirt bags! They likely don't have insurance and/or a police record of some kind.

Forgive and forget for damage to a car that comes to $2500? Not in my world!

Interesting how the fine is the same amount! I'm guessing they have no insurance and/or really crappy driving records.

Esteemed Contributor

@Teddixat wrote:

@nana59   so,r police departments won't come to your house unless it's something serious.

wow....i never knew that.....