Honored Contributor

Re: My Neighbor Smashed My Car!

I can't believe anyone could do this, especially a neighbor.  Knowing it was your car and not saying anything.  Probably scared, but really scared now that the police are involved.  I'd probably handle it as kitcat51 suggested, depends on her current driving record.  Good luck..... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I didn't make it clear that SHE would be responsible for the repair!!! 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kitcat51 Forgive and forget when property damage is $2500??? Are you serious? They likely have bad driving records and no insurance.

I can't believe someone would "forgive and forget" when a neighbor does this c r a p and tries to hide it. And there is a reason the police knew who to go to about this.  

Respected Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

I'd ask why they didn't  tell me if they knew it was my car, then forgive & forgot...since no one was hurt & the car is just a thing that can be repaired I'd let it go. 

really?!  forgive and forget?! they didn't even leave a note.....not acceptable.....i would not let it go....certainly tells you something about the person who hit the car......jmo....

Yes, really... we're all different in the way we handle the things that happen in life. What matters to me is how I treat others & hope that sets a good example for others to follow.

Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids     They don't necessarily have to have a criminal record.  So-called "respectable" citizens don't always obey the law.   That's a gross assumption on your part.  

Honored Contributor

@Teddixat Maybe not a criminal record but there is a reason these creeps hid what they did. When someone does that there's a reason. Likely bad driving records and no insurance.

Yes, I am assuming!!!

Super Contributor

Hi I totally understand being upset. Very understandable. I just have 2 questions. Why did you drive to the police department vs calling them to your address? AND the big one. Do you know your neighbor? If so, this is going to be a very uncomfortable situation and unless you plan on moving I would seriously think about this from ALL angles. Did the officer offer any idea why they didn't contact you? I am sure they asked Did the officer give any indication of the persons demeanor? Just very curious. I wish you luck no matter what you do and I hope ur vehic;e gets repaired with no cost to you.
Honored Contributor

@Mustang Shar, How awful!

I would be so upset. Not just for the damage to my car but that my neighbors didn't even tell me and tried to get away with that much damage! I admire you for taking care of it. I wouldn't have thought to go to the police station. And great for the officer who pursued it too.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Police here also won't come on private property.  I had a car accident last month in a shopping center and they would not come out to do a report because it happened on private property.

It wasn't an issue for my accident as the other person was insured and took full responsibility.  But I've had several parking lot incidents in my working lifetime and the police will never come on private property for a report.  Luckily they are classified as hit and run so I don't have to pay the full deductible.  Parking garages are the worst.  I can't tell you how many times my side mirrors have been smacked off in parking garages over the years.  Those things get more expensive the more technology is added to them.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@kitcat51 Forgive and forget when property damage is $2500??? Are you serious? They likely have bad driving records and no insurance.

I can't believe someone would "forgive and forget" when a neighbor does this c r a p and tries to hide it. And there is a reason the police knew who to go to about this.  

i was thinking the same thing....about how the police knew whose door to knock on!!