Honored Contributor

Re: My Cookies Made in Mexico

I just looked at the package of Oreos that is sitting on my counter. It says Made in Canada. Maybe because I am closer to Canada than I am to Mexico?

Respected Contributor

@ Drizzella
Good point about location. I checked Oreos at my store and one was from Canada. Others no notation. I had spent my quota of time in cookie dept so I didn’t check other varieties- mission for next week!😉
Valued Contributor

Many reasons not to buy any medical devices, medicines, foods, or anything from Mexico you ingest.

Mexico does not use pure ingredients and adulturates many items. They do not properly label all the ingredients, and many items have no ingredients listed at all.

As for buying cookies they do not use pure vanilla extract like we use in the U.S and their items have a very short shelf life.. Also the taste is unappealing.

Their Mexican Vanilla Extract is made up mostly of Mexican low grade alcohol  and not pure vanilla beans monitored and produced with strict government guidelines, and the taste is awful as I have tried it when in Mexico, and would never buy it to use in any food I  wish to eat and serve to anyone.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JaneMarple wrote:

Food items from Mexico wouldn't bother me, why should they?

First, their water supply systems are second rate, and I'm being diplomatic.  Also, why would Mexican food workers getting paid poverty level wages or being told we don't want them in the USA care about our food supply?  And who is inspecting this food, the FDA?  They hardly inspect anything here.  Everyone is supposed to self regulate these days.  I'm tired of that cr-p too.
Trusted Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

I think Ritz taste different since they've started making them there.

It's probably the water.

Trusted Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@luvmybeetle wrote:

@Twins Mom   I don't understand why you would not buy from Mexico.  Lots of things we eat are manufactured or made in other countries.  What about China and  Viet Nam?  We buy the Croissants from France.  It does seem our country has a few companies that keep recalling food products.  Home made chocolate chip cookies are better anyway. 

@luvmybeetle   First, because my neighbors deserve jobs.  Next, I DO NOT buy food, especially seafood, from Asia, including Wild Planet tuna.  

I have no problem with European countries like France, Germany, UK, and other western European countries.

If we don't buy it more Americans will have jobs and our economy will be so much better!  That alone is reason not to buy. 

Oh boy. I hope I am wrong, but this reads that you only want to buy things from countries that have one thing in common as far as population goes.   

...and it ain't the weather.  🙄

You are wrong. European countries have higher standards, what's allowed and what isn't, in their food and what pesticides are illigal to use in farming than the US does.

@Ms tryion2 

You are so correct @occasionalrain  And if I may add, many if not most European countries have banned many food additives, colorings and other chemicals allowed in the U.S. because their leaders care more about people's health than corporate profits.

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

I think Ritz taste different since they've started making them there.

A couple of years ago I got into a discussion with an employee of Nabisco. The City of Philadelphia had passed a law about no food with trans fat was to sold in Philadelphia.

Nabisco had to change the recipe for it's cookies and crackers etc. in a hurry.

I got into a conversation with the man because I had just donated blood and there were small packages of crackers and cookies on the table after you donate the blood. I thought the cookies looked and tasted horrible. And that is how we got into the discussion.

Respected Contributor

I don’t drink soda but the sodas made in Mexico are made with pure cane sugar rather than the corn syrup the sodas made in the US are. They also use less additives and chemicals than we do. Don’t buy into the narrative being force fed to us. Do your own research.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

The ingredients in such "foods" as cookies are more harmful than the country where they are made.

I sense a disdain for Mexico for just being Mexico rather than being concerned about the garbage used to make processed foods.

Same boat, different crew.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@ Cakers
You have a very valid point about ingredients- from first moment I was guilty about some of them - from nutritional standpoint. Several have noted water issue. I wonder about more of them.