Honored Contributor

Re: Monetary gift for wedding

that's a very generous gift--but if it were me, I think $100 would be more in line considering the circumstances. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Originally, showers were for young couples, unable to afford basic household items or, later baby items.

Now they are fund raisers, money grabs.

Honored Contributor

The OP sounds rather perterbed that the married couple is asking for money for their wedding. You claim that you paid for your own house. The money you received for your wedding (I'm sure you got money) went into your bank acct. So it's actually the same senario isn't it? 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

I just received a bridal shower invite stating 

"we have all the pots & pans, sheets, and more we need since

we live together -- please make your gift in cash towards our honeymoon"

Guess where that invite went ... in the "round file".  Haven't seen these people in 15 years (friends of mother) but things sure have changed -- asking for $$$ was in poor taste when I grew up!!

@homedecor1 Tacky, tacky.

Another new thing "Be a dear and wrap in clear" so all they have to do is open the card.

Super Contributor

You should give what you re comfortable with and what your budget allows. Not what others say is too much or appropraite. If you are thinking 200 $ then that is what you must have to give. Do not doubt yourself. Afterall, this is a family wedding and family is important. Times have changed. The prices for plates at weddings is expensive. This will help a young couple start a new beginning.