Esteemed Contributor

Re: Monetary gift for wedding

Since they are family and you are close with his Mom, your niece IMO you are spot on.

Contributor

In my opinion, it's very generous.  I would have suggested $100.00 at most.

Respected Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

As everyone else has stated, $200 is very generous and I'm sure will be much appreciated.

Like you, my husband and I paid for our honeymoon and our house ourselves.  The money we received as gifts was greatly appreciated and went to necessities, but we didn't specify what we "needed" the money for.

I don't know why, but it really irks me when brides and grooms request money for their honeymoon or house fund.  Just request money and leave it at that.  Really grinds my gears.  Hahahaha

Me too!!!

Respected Contributor

$200 is a nice gift if you're not attending the wedding.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

$200 is a nice gift if you're not attending the wedding.

$200 is a nice gift if you ARE attending the wedding.  

Trusted Contributor

Very generous of you!

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Respected Contributor

Personally, I would not give that much $$$$.  Unless you have plenty of disposable savings, etc.  The couple should've planned better IMHO.

Been there done that...Cat Indifferent

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Our neice's son is getting married (out of town and who we never see).  We are invitied to the wedding but unable to go because we will be traveling home from our summer vacation on the day.  We will send a gift.  The "new" registries ask for money for their "first home"  (we paid for ours all on our own) or money for their honeymoon (we paid for that on our own as well).  So if we send a check what is an acceptable amount?  We are NOT close with him and will probably see them but once a year if at all. Is $200 enough?

@bargainsgirl @Use a special gel pen that usually can't be washed using acetone. There's been a ton of checking washing fraud going on. We've had two or three threads here about it. The pen that's recommended is the Uni-ball 207 retractable. It's sold in stores and on Amazon. Mail from inside the postal service. You can even send it registered or certified.

Honored Contributor

I just received a bridal shower invite stating 

"we have all the pots & pans, sheets, and more we need since

we live together -- please make your gift in cash towards our honeymoon"

Guess where that invite went ... in the "round file".  Haven't seen these people in 15 years (friends of mother) but things sure have changed -- asking for $$$ was in poor taste when I grew up!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 wrote:

I just received a bridal shower invite stating 

"we have all the pots & pans, sheets, and more we need since

we live together -- please make your gift in cash towards our honeymoon"

Guess where that invite went ... in the "round file".  Haven't seen these people in 15 years (friends of mother) but things sure have changed -- asking for $$$ was in poor taste when I grew up!!

When I was growing up there was no such thing as a bridal registry or stating on an invitation that it was a cash only event.  People gave what they wanted.  If the couple didn't need the item it was returned or exchanged to the store.  If people cannot afford houses or honeymoons they should not be spending money on weddings.  They should just elope and use the wedding money for what they want.