Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  That's what I thought the answer would be! Thanks for verifying. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear,

I seldom read posts(replies) that contain a "quote" of a "quote", that has already been "quoted" X number of times.

I seldom, if ever, include posts that contain what I said in the aforementioned paragraph. Too much effort to figure out who is replying to whom, for me anyways.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I will just click on REPLY when I want to give my comment without referring to anyone specific about a topic. However, I click on the QUOTE button and give their name when I want to refer to something specific by a certain poster, reminding them of what they said. I do not want them to have to go back in a lengthy thread to figure out what I am responding to.

The problem with not including the quote can sometimes be when you just REPLY to a specific person, giving their name so they are notified, and they have made several comments. How do they know which one of their comments you are responding to?

I have made comments using more than one post in a thread. Then someone replies (not using the quote feature) by saying something like "I totally agree!" Since I made more than one comment on that thread, which post of mine did they "totally agree" with? Or maybe they are totally agreeing with someone else who responded to my original post.

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

When I want to comment generally, I click the REPLY on the left top above the boxes, but if I want to reply to a specific post, then I click the REPLY

@at the right lower of that box and @  whoever I want to talk with.  Should I be doing something different?

No.  That is the way this works.

When replying to OP or contributing to the general thread you hit the reply button at the top of the thread.

But when replying to a particular post you use the reply included within their post.

Unfortunately, sometimes my profile shows I had multiple replies to a post. But when i go look, I see people have just used the reply button in my post to reply to the general thread.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Message Replies

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady wrote:

Does anyone know how to reply to the latest post on the long line of a thread? I don't want to quote a series of replies, but don't know how to respond to the last response. Hope I'm making sense!

Just hit 'quote' and edit out all the unwanted post above it. I do it with my fingertip easily enough. If you have a mouse and can swipe to highlight and delete, it's even faster.

Copy & Paste doesn't offset, so it's hard to tell when one speaker ends and the other begins.

I also think it doesn't trigger the notification when you c&p. You may see the name but it's just a copy.

Honored Contributor

If I do a copy and paste I always make sure the person I am replying to has the @ and their name so they are notified.

Respected Contributor

Re: Message Replies

[ Edited ]

@FlowerBear wrote:

Does anyone else have trouble reading the reply when the previous or OP thread is included in the reply people post?? ...

Quotes can be edited to make replies easier to read. I indicate that with dots, like I did above.

ETA: I meant parts of the quote can be deleted by backspacing