Honored Contributor

Monarch Butterfly on Wisteria | Gail Melville Shumway Photography

Honored Contributor

Memorial Day Photo:  This Photo was uploaded by RitaKayC. Find other Memorial Day pictures and photos or upload your own with Photobucket free image and ...

Honored Contributor

Quotes happy weekend smile 34 ideas for 2019 #quotes

Respected Contributor

@possummink 

I actually took the photo with my cell phone.  The bushes that they came from are definitely over grown.  Years back I use to trim them but no longer can do that.  I think they are french lilacs.  The building is over 75 years old and I think so are the lilacs.  There are 5 or six of them that all grew together and they are still beautiful.  The scent is so nice.  At our former house I planted 3 lilac bushes.  One was a French lilac and the other was an old fashioned lilac that is a lilac color but a lot lighter than the French ones.  The third one was a white one.  They would be about 15 years old now.  The deer seemed to always be trimming them...lol.  I planted one about 20 years ago in our daughters back yard and she likes them to be tall so tall it is.  It is a french lilac and fills the back yard with its lovely scent. 

All the shrubs and bushes you mentioned I had planted in our house 40 years ago and some are still there.  I loved those bushes and you are right that you no longer see them anymore. Not sure why!  The only one that I am not familiar with is the buttercup one.  Don't think I have ever seen one of them.  At that house I redid the entire piece of property which was 1 1/2 acres.  It took a number of years but I enjoyed every minute of it.  My favorite was a formal herb garden with the wooden fence around it and a trellis at the entryway with a gate.  Inside I had the crushed stone in the X pathways and a lot of unusual herbs along with the most common ones.  In the center I had a glass glove on a stand.  I miss all that!  I had sundials and a lot of birdhouses that were most all used.  DD had a horse and we had a barn and I grew a lot of flowering vines on trellis's on it one being a wisteria vine.  I am glad to hear that you still have some of the older bushes.  I love the mock orange and the scent that it gives off. 

Still no hummers here but there are 89 condos here and I see a lot of hummingbird feeders.  Will just have to wait and see.  We have conservation land surrounding the entire complex.  Every condo has the conservation land behind them. 

Yesterday we reached in the 80's and I ended up putting the AC on but had it set at a higher temp.  Not a lot of humidity so it was not too bad.  Today it is to be a little cooler...thank goodness.  I am not a fan of the heat!

Have a great weekend!

Respected Contributor

Re: May 2020 Bird's Nest

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl 

The lilac bushes are about 15 feet tall but they flower from the bottom of the bushes to the top.  There are other lilac bushes throughout the property also that are not as tall.  Sorry that you lost a lot of yours to the gophers.  We had trouble with the deer eating them.  How nice that you potted them.  I did not know that you could pot them.  Great idea!  It is amazing what animals will eat.  We planted rhododendrons along the back of the property at the edge of the woods and the squirrels ate every bud on them.  We had a lot of critters including a lot of squirrels at our former house and nothing touched them there.  We had very little snow coverage this past winter in fact there was nothing on the ground as far as snow most of the time so there was food for them including our bird feeders and they ate the buds. How tall do the lilacs get in your pots?

How nice that you found artificial lilacs!  They certainly will last a lot longer than the real ones do.  Enjoy them!

@Bird mama 

Enjoy your outdoor time with your sister!  I hope that you do not get any rain but then you do have an alternative.   What are you planning to cook?  My husband loves hot dogs so I am thinking hot dogs with a macaroni salad and some sort of veggie. 

Everyone have a great Memorial Day weekend!!!

Honored Contributor

@luvsbulldogs   We're gonna have hot dogs, macaroni salad, baked beans and corn (canned).  And snacks.  I tried to tell my sister this isn't a huge meal like Thanksgiving, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Hope it is okay if I post some pictures I have taken of birds.  Some are from the beach and some are from our backyard.

20181114_115040_000_01-1.jpg

20180508_120528-1 (2).jpg

20190123_152931_017_01-2.jpg

20190123_153127_015_01.jpg

I didn't realize how long it takes to download a picture!  Excuse some of the blurriness.  I took these with my Tracfone and there isn't much of a zoom.  

I enjoyed looking at all the pictures on this thread!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

Hi everyone. Possum, love the pictures of Conrad you posted earlier this week and also the one of Miss Blackie looking out the window. Her favorite thing to do any more except sleep that is. She is getting old and a few times lately I was overly concerned but she perked up and just wanted to keep me on my toes I guess. LOL.

Birds are everywhere and eating up their food so quickly. Their bird bath is really dirty - use to be easy to keep those things clean and with water. Not any more. What a pain.

Do not recalled if I posted it or not, do not think I did but my Oncologist called me Tuesday with the results of my last scan. Can you believe having the radiation in July of last year, it is still shrinking. He is more than pleased and a bit astounded - fine with me. He also explained to me the horrible pain I had about 2 months ago that no one else could. I just decided to ask him feeling it had nothing to do with the cancer -= I was right - he spotted it immediately but did not say anything to me assuming my primary had told me - I have a compressed spinal cord. While I no longer am in that horrible pain the pressure seems to build by the day. No treatment for that so my major health problem seems to be the COPD and things attached to that., Oh well, others have it worse than I do.,

Hope all have a super good day.

Honored Contributor

hey all

busy beaver here

did all outside windows around the house. of course with all the other cleaning i do daily am way behind on everything else

ok guys later.

Honored Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

Hi everyone. Possum, love the pictures of Conrad you posted earlier this week and also the one of Miss Blackie looking out the window. Her favorite thing to do any more except sleep that is. She is getting old and a few times lately I was overly concerned but she perked up and just wanted to keep me on my toes I guess. LOL.

Birds are everywhere and eating up their food so quickly. Their bird bath is really dirty - use to be easy to keep those things clean and with water. Not any more. What a pain.

Do not recalled if I posted it or not, do not think I did but my Oncologist called me Tuesday with the results of my last scan. Can you believe having the radiation in July of last year, it is still shrinking. He is more than pleased and a bit astounded - fine with me. He also explained to me the horrible pain I had about 2 months ago that no one else could. I just decided to ask him feeling it had nothing to do with the cancer -= I was right - he spotted it immediately but did not say anything to me assuming my primary had told me - I have a compressed spinal cord. While I no longer am in that horrible pain the pressure seems to build by the day. No treatment for that so my major health problem seems to be the COPD and things attached to that., Oh well, others have it worse than I do.,

Hope all have a super good day.

@Winifred   Is the tumor in your lung, the area that was watched for years and years with no one saying what it was?  Glad to hear it is shrinking.