Esteemed Contributor

I tried at least 4 times before and just couldn't do it. I was given  20mgs of Valium each time and it didn't work for me. I discovered the STANDUP/SIT MRI and loved it. It looks like a phone booth with the door removed. Without that I don't know what I would have done.

Honored Contributor

Our new hospital has a brand new MRI machine.  I noticed that the way the ceiling is finished in the tube, it impossible to tell how far away it is.  It could be 6" or a mile.  Anyway, it really doesn't bother me.  I just shut my eyes and breathe.  Get your doctor to prescribe a tranquilizer; it's very common for people to take them who are bothered by the close-in feeling. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@arubakathy wrote:

I have tried to have the MRI my dr. has ordered. I first time I couldn't do it. I practically ran out of there. Then I tried an 'open MRI'. That was worse. I can not go thru with this test. They have suggested that I have meds before the test. How have others handles this? Thanks in advance.

@arubakathy

I have had at least 10-12 MRI's, all closed with no issues. I practiced TM for years, and later Dr. Benson's Relaxation Response. Both are similar and that along with using Mental Imagery, not only helped me through many serious issues with my heart and lungs, I also used Mental Imagery when preparing for my 10k and 5k Road Races.

Never been one to worry about much of anything, especially things I cannot control. Were I like you, I would ask myself. "What is the worst thing that can happen to me in an MRI Machine"? You are not going to die/suffocate/bleed to death, or have much of anything of consequence happen to you.

It is "mind over matter", and since your doctor seems persistent that you have an MRI?  Work on something beneficial like learning how to relax your mind, and also work on worrying less. Some things look easier when someone else is doing it, or having it done. For many, it did not come naturally, they worked on it. If you needs meds ordered by your doctor, take them.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I understand your fear because I have it also.  I am extremely claustrophobic and have endured about 15 MRI's over the years; 4 of them this year on various body parts.

This is how I manage.  1.  As they are preparing me in the machine I say a prayer and ask for Divine help.  This has a very calming effect.  2.  I close my eyes during the procedure and have fallen asleep on occasion in spite of the noise.  3..  I tell myself that this will be over in about 45 minutes, I will survive.

4.  Usually the technician will tell you how long each segment will last.  When each one starts, I mentally count off the minutes.  5.  I used to take the Valium, but it made me feel worse and the effects lasted long after the test was over.  I no longer take the Valium, but if you need it, take it.  You can do this; it really is mind over matter.

Honored Contributor

When I had a head MRI I did take Valium and had no problem.  When I had one for my knees, I just counted the pings and it went really fast and no claustrophobic panic feeling.  A friend of mine silently sings 100 bottles of beer on the wall over and over and says that works!  When my mother had to have full body MRIs that were scheduled in 2 days and were a few hours each, I was allowed in to talk to her the whole time.  She was a strong woman though and endured so much in the last few years of her life.

Honored Contributor

@arubakathy wrote:

I have tried to have the MRI my dr. has ordered. I first time I couldn't do it. I practically ran out of there. Then I tried an 'open MRI'. That was worse. I can not go thru with this test. They have suggested that I have meds before the test. How have others handles this? Thanks in advance.

@arubakathy- I have pretty severe claustrophobia and there's no way I'd be able to do a closed MRI.  And, to be honest, the open one I've been to twice now (for my knee) was extremely difficult for me even taking an Ativan for the second one.  The Ativan wasn't strong enough.  And with the knee, you don't even have to go all the way in!

Anyway, I don't know what part of the body you need the MRI on, but in my area there is one facility that has a stand up/sit down MRI.  TOTALLY open.  It's like a phone booth.  You sit down and it's totally open in the front and they have a tv straight ahead and I watched tv doing it.

The MRI is just as strong as closed MRI's and open MRI's.  It was invented by the same person who invented the MRI.

I've used it for my brain and neck.  They do all of the usual MRI's but they told me that if it's for like the liver or kidney, etc. they can still do it, but the images won't be as clear as the traditional MRI's.  But for the brain, it's just as good and for the neck, knees, back, etc.

It's called Medica Stand Up MRI.  They have a website.  Again, I don't know where you are and what you need the MRI for, but you might check their website and see if they have a location that's doable for you.

I wish you luck.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Where I go, they pipe in music. They give you a choice.

Respected Contributor

I have had a few, they were closed ones. First time they had to pull me back out. The secret for me was just to closed my eyes before going back in and never open them. The tech was in constant contact with me and I held a beeper in my hand if needed to be pulled back out. Not pleasant but I made it through. You will too.

Honored Contributor

@arubakathy,   I've dealt with extreme claustrophobia all my life.   I can pretty much guarantee you there's no one with more crippling claustropohbia than mine, and it's taken my learning practical steps, accepting help from others, and my own determination to overcome it.    I've also had so many MRIs that I've lost count.   All have been the typical closed units.    There's good advice on this thread and I know I'm repeating some but I want to echo what was said and perhaps add to it.   Because I know if I could overcome this fear anyone can.

I can say without hesitation that the anticipation of the first time was the worst part -- the test itself ended up easy, painless, and once I conquered my fear I was perfectly fine for all subsequent scans.   

We build up worries, fears, and our mind is powerful beyond belief.   So, we have to tackle steps to calm our mind and control our thoughts.    If we keep telling ourself something will be bad, or that we can't do it, those are self-fulfilling and we take ourselves down the wrong road.  

I was lucky to get good advice from a friend, a nurse, who told me not to ever open my eyes once in the unit...  and a very practical step helps:  ask for a soft cloth to cover your eyes.    You do not want to be tempted to open them...  and you can't if they're covered.    In addition, I learned biofeedback, breathing techniques, and positive imagery from a therapist...  so I knew to use that to talk to myself and push away negativity.    Also, for the first MRI I did take the advice to accept a mild sedative...  but I never needed medication for any scans after the first one.    In some cases, they will provide music or even local radio stations for you to hear, and they'll give you choices.

An MRI is painless.   Try to feel gratitude for the availability of helpful, sometimes life-saving tests.   Once you conquer your fears, you will be so proud of yourself and you'll be on a path to even more confidence and better health.

I wish you well!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

I have had two MRI's  in the past few years.  One was recently on my knee and that was not a problem.

The problem was the one on my brain.  I am extremely claustrophobic and had planned to have Valium, but the open MRI times were not conducive to someone going with me.  I know that others think that an open MRI is easy, but I have never found them to be that open.

My MRI technician put a blindfold over my eyes and held my hand during most of the procedure.  It made it much easier for me.  I felt like such a baby, but that was better than not having it at all.   I was very nervous going in the first time, but then I had to be pulled out for a solution to be injected and then put back in.  I think going in again was worse.

Every MRI tech has seen it all and the really good ones will be prepared for anyone who is hesitant and do everything they can to calm someone and make it as comfortable as possible.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!