Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

I tried at least 4 times before and just couldn't do it. I was given  20mgs of Valium each time and it didn't work for me. I discovered the STANDUP/SIT MRI and loved it. It looks like a phone booth with the door removed. Without that I don't know what I would have done.

@Sage04- I posted early this morning and hadn't seen your post. I also posted bout the stand up/sit down MRI and just now read your post about it. It's a life saver for people who have problems with MRI's isn't it?  Best thing ever. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I have had MRI's and the Dr. prescribes Alprazolam prior to the test for me. It works great and I have no problems.

Honored Contributor

Take the meds if you need them.  Don't try it without if you fear you will be anxious and stressed.  It's not worth getting upset over, IMHO.

DH has never been able to have a closed MRI for his brain tumor.  He has them yearly and doesn't even try anymore w/out the meds.

He takes Antivan.  They now give it to him upon arrival.

You will need someone to drive you home.

You will need to sleep it off!  At least he does!

Best of luck to you!

Honored Contributor

The only time I had an MRI I was working such a stressful job that the clanging MRI machine was the most relaxing part of my day and I fell asleep inside.

Are you afraid of the MRI itself or what the results of the MRI might show?

The MRI can't hurt you and it could save your life. Get your support system in line to deal with whatever happens after the MRI. Then get in that machine and be happy such a thing exists to help you out.

Respected Contributor

Try going to a hospital setting to get your MRI.  I was fearful, but my appointment was made on a Sun.  I was not admitted.  There was no waiting.  II found this setting to be as comforting as it could be.  Close your eyes during the MRI.  Don't open them until you are finished. 

Respected Contributor

The open air one isn't bad - had a heart scan and it was fine.  The closed ones can make you feel claustrophobic for sure - I thought I was going to make a dash for it too - noisy!  I think they are better now - medication might help - deep breaths and sometimes they will put headphones on you for music which helps.

Honored Contributor

The first MRI I had was of my brain.

After the tech. hooked me up for the contrast, I closed my eyes and said, "Let's do this."  Of course I had a xanax in me as I am claustrophic but I did it. I also took the words Happy Birthday and tried to think of all the words I could make out of that.

Then I had an MRI of my cervical spine and was surprised I was more at ease.  Closed my eyes- I refused the cloth over my eyes both times- let the tech get me ready and we were off.  I meditated and that was a blessing.. 

Now I have a follow up CT scan with contrast once a year.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

They have come a long way since the ones I had 20+ years ago.

Your doctor can prescribe a mild sedative.  Music helps greatly.

Honored Contributor

@arubakathy wrote:

I have tried to have the MRI my dr. has ordered. I first time I couldn't do it. I practically ran out of there. Then I tried an 'open MRI'. That was worse. I can not go thru with this test. They have suggested that I have meds before the test. How have others handles this? Thanks in advance.

I self-medicate beforehand. If I didn't have something to take, I would discuss with my doctor and/or the radiologist and make sure I was given something to relax and/or sedate me.They are all very used to doing this. If they give you a sufficient amount of an appropriate medication, you really aren't going to care - and/or might even fall asleep.

I keep my eyes shut. If you don't open your eyes to "see" that you're closed in, you probably won't get so much of a trigger about being closed in.

I encourage the technicians to talk to me (they usually do this anyway), i.e. we're halfway through, just one more series, about another 10 min, etc. I had music once, but it had to be so loud to drown out the clicks & bonks that the loudness in my ears stressed me and I told them to turn it off.

Depending on body part and with contrast or not, they can take from 30-60 minutes in the machine. The 30-40 min. I can handle okay; the longer, with-contrast one I had I just gritted my teeth towards the end. But if at any time I'd have asked to be pulled out or be given more meds they would have.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I have never had an MRI and hope I never will.  I too am extremely claustrophobic so my question is:  Why can't they knock you out like they do for a colonscopy??  My philosophy is:  wake me up when it's over!!!