Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

You'd  be surprised how many customers can't understand what you're saying when wearing a face mask so it has to get lowered & the same thing happens when they're taking orders on the phone. Lowering masks happens all the time when you're working with the public in lots of different setting....I'm a volunteer shopper so I'm out & about everyday & I see it happen all the time at grocery stores, drug stores, etc. I'm surprised that others don't  know this & it's one of the reasons retailers give workers a choice between a mask & a face shield. I wear a face shield too. Be well @Shanus.

@kitcat51  Excuse my honesty, but improper use of masks or not wearing one at all is why cases are skyrocketing. 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

You'd  be surprised how many customers can't understand what you're saying when wearing a face mask so it has to get lowered & the same thing happens when they're taking orders on the phone. Lowering masks happens all the time when you're working with the public in lots of different setting....I'm a volunteer shopper so I'm out & about everyday & I see it happen all the time at grocery stores, drug stores, etc. I'm surprised that others don't  know this & it's one of the reasons retailers give workers a choice between a mask & a face shield. I wear a face shield too. Be well @Shanus.

My mom is hard of hearing and lip reads a lot.  Wearing masks makes it almost impossible to communicate in stores and other places.

@CrazyDaisy   I understand that. I wear hearing aids in both ears and still have difficulty. I'd rather not hear well than be on a respirator. 

Honored Contributor

I can well imagine!   Just having the mask on for half an hour or so, while I'm in the grocery store, is enough that when I take it off my face is soaking wet and all red.   If I had to wear one for hours that would give time for bad things to happen.  That's with cotton or paper, but I can't really blame the mask as I tend to be hot anyway, so it's on me.

I'm also going deaf and have extreme tinnitis so I have to really pay attention.  As long as somebody isn't mumbling I can usually hear what they are saying.   I tend to be reticent to say 'pardon me' unless I absolutely have to because people tend to YELL when they repeat.   Yelling makes my tinnitis worse, plus I don't like being yelled at anyway.  hehe

It's a challenge, but you just deal.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

@kitcat51  Excuse my honesty, but improper use of masks or not wearing one at all is why cases are skyrocketing. 

What I posted is reality. Many who point fingers & blame others only wear a mask for a short time, they have no idea how difficult it is to work in them & that lowering a mask sometimes needs to be done to communicate with customers & catch a breath. For those still shaking their head no just imagine...raising the temp in your home to 80+, wearing a mask for 8 hours constantly doing chores & cooking with a 10 minute break every 3 hours & an hour off for lunch x 6 days a week. 

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@kitcat51 

Face sheids  are not good at protection, they are often worn by MD's in conjunction with a mask. The openness can let germs easily float around

@kitcat51 wrote:

Wearing a mask constantly doesn't do your skin any favors especially if you're working in heat. My granddaughter works in a smoothie-sandwich shop & many employees are getting breakouts & itchy red rashes on their face so now they have the option of wearing a face shield...it doesn't touch the face so it doesn't  get soaked with sweat, it's easier to breathe & they don't  have to lower it to talk with customers.

I have volunteered in hospitals for 11 yrs & many of the Drs. & nurses I know wear face shields too when they're out & about...that's all that's needed. The first time I wore the shield for about 30 minutes & took it off in my car I couldn't believe all the droplet marks there were in front of my nose & mouth, it was gross so I simply cleaned it with  an alcohol wipe & it was sanitary & ready to go at my next stop. I realized how filthy the masks I had been wearing during the day were so threw them all away & I'll never go back. The shield covers my face from ear to ear & above my eyes to well below my chin, some experts say the open areas aren't  really a concern because droplets go forward then drop to the ground due to gravity. I'm not advocating that others should wear a shield, it's just what works for me since I have a difficult time wearing a mask. And before anyone @ me again about what health care must workers do...I'm a volunteer shopper now, my State doesn't allow volunteers in hospitals because of covid. Be well @I am still oxox.