Reply
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,964
Registered: ‎05-09-2010

Re: MARTHA STEWART


@Sooner wrote:

No, @PUPPY LIPS I don't feel the same way.  For one, I think the newest comment was sort of tongue-in-cheek, and nothing anyone should get riled up about.

 

Not all the world has to say only what is expected or only what is nice and sweet and lovely now.  We are free to say things we thing, sometimes harsh.  It doesn't bother me.  Sometimes a little honesty is fine. 

 

I think a lot more people need to grow up and let stuff go and realize that not everything is something to be offended about.  I think both of these ladies are in the media, used to comments and can certainly take care of themselves.

 

Martha of all people has sure had her lumps and gotten past them.  


@Sooner  It is possible the comment was supposed to be funny, but it sure did not come across that way.  And I am not riled up or offended by her comment.  I am simply stating that I never liked her, and the little bit i happen to see of her, she does not give me any reason to change my mind. She just does not seem like a nice person, even after all these years.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Posts: 485
Registered: ‎10-10-2019

Re: MARTHA STEWART

I buy a lo t of Martha's products mainly because, in my opinion, they are extremely well made. I have also watched her through the years for advice on either how to make something or how to bake/cook something. Wouldn't call myself a fan but I do follow/watch her now and again. I read a biography about her a long time ago and if I am remembering it right she did not have an easy childhood. Every time I have seen her she always appears to me (repeat, to me) as uncomfortable and a little nervous. I think she wants to "fit" in but doesn't know how and being one of those people with a "dry sense of humor" doesn't help her. Either way, I don't plan on losing any sleep over a comment she made about someone that used their money/influence to get something for their child that may or may not have deserved it.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,463
Registered: ‎06-10-2010

Re: MARTHA STEWART

I don't know much about Martha Stewart as I haven't followed her very closely.  I have looked at some videos of her clothes and they appear to be well made.  Here is  the question I ask myself.  Do we really know what any of these vendors  are like in real life that we buy from?  Do we know about their past?  Do we watch television shows with famous stars who have done shady things in their pasts?  I'm not trying to be disrespectful to you, op, or challenge your decision,  I just don't know how far we should take all these things and I don't have a good answer.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,887
Registered: ‎10-03-2014

Re: MARTHA STEWART

[ Edited ]

What is the difference between some here saying they don't like her, she's mean and cold, and Martha making two comments about these two public figures?  I don't see any difference.  Both are criticisms.  At least Martha didn't say she didn't like the two women.

 

She is a perfectionist, not a bad trait for an owner running a company.  She's not trying to win a personality contest.  I respect her for that.  

 

If you take everything others say too personally, you might end up not liking anyone.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Highlighted
Super Contributor
Posts: 485
Registered: ‎10-10-2019

Re: MARTHA STEWART

Jubilant ...... you make a lot of sense. None of us know what the vendor, hosts, etc. are really like outside of how they present themselves. As long as I am happy with the product that is all I care about ..... and if I really don't want to see/hear them I know where the off button is on the turner.

 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,965
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: MARTHA STEWART


@Foxxee wrote:

She is a perfectionist, not a bad trait for an owner running a company.  She's not trying to win a sweet personality contest.  I respect her for that.  

 

If we take everything people say too personally, we wouldn't like anyone.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


@Foxxee  I agree.  It take a lot of substance to go forward after your husband leaves you for a younger woman (baby sitter or something?) and create an empire.  I don't think warm and fuzzy works for you that way.

 

It's again a woman often criticized for being tough because she isn't all sweetness and light. Like you said, I think she has very high standards, probably more for herself than others.  Whatever, she has very much changed the way we live and think about things in our homes.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,964
Registered: ‎05-09-2010

Re: MARTHA STEWART


@Jubilant wrote:

I don't know much about Martha Stewart as I haven't followed her very closely.  I have looked at some videos of her clothes and they appear to be well made.  Here is  the question I ask myself.  Do we really know what any of these vendors  are like in real life that we buy from?  Do we know about their past?  Do we watch television shows with famous stars who have done shady things in their pasts?  I'm not trying to be disrespectful to you, op, or challenge your decision,  I just don't know how far we should take all these things and I don't have a good answer.


@Jubilant I was actually thinking about your point as I was driving home.  I buy a lot of things for which I have no idea who designed it or made it.  They could be horrible people and I would not know, and that is okay, because I don't know.  But on the other hand, I counted 5 vendors on QVC who just rub me the wrong way for one reason or another.  It could be things that they say or just the way they come across. In reality they could be lovely people with the best product in the world. but if I don't warm up to them, I am not going to put some of my hard earned money into their pocket.  People tend to buy from people they like.  Ask any salesman.  So I guess that is just how I feel.  I know some or many of you focus only on the product and that is your only concern.  But I guess I am just not wired that way.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,964
Registered: ‎05-09-2010

Re: MARTHA STEWART


@Sooner wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

She is a perfectionist, not a bad trait for an owner running a company.  She's not trying to win a sweet personality contest.  I respect her for that.  

 

If we take everything people say too personally, we wouldn't like anyone.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


@Foxxee  I agree.  It take a lot of substance to go forward after your husband leaves you for a younger woman (baby sitter or something?) and create an empire.  I don't think warm and fuzzy works for you that way.

 

It's again a woman often criticized for being tough because she isn't all sweetness and light. Like you said, I think she has very high standards, probably more for herself than others.  Whatever, she has very much changed the way we live and think about things in our homes.  


@Sooner I think you can have high standards and be tough without being nasty.  I am not saying she has to be sweet, because I don't think she can.  She may have changed how you live and your home, but I can manage just fine without any tips, tricks, recipes, crafts or whatever else she does from Martha Stewart.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Posts: 669
Registered: ‎07-25-2010

Re: MARTHA STEWART

Do not like her.  She is a stuffed shirt and thinks she is better than everyone else and knows it all.  Cannot imagine working for her, nothing would be done right.  I do not watch her or buy her products.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,965
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: MARTHA STEWART

@PUPPY LIPS   I have learned a lot from Martha about housekeeping, washing clothes, organizing, cleaning, making beds, having a neat house, cooking, gardening, preserving foods, having people over and a million other things.  My life is way more organized, neater and efficient because of her. 

 

She has helped me have a better quality of life, and enjoy it more, since I first bought her "Entertaining" book in 1983.  

 

To each their own.  It just depends on how you look at life.