Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for Shade at the Back Fence - August 2019

When I said that we could use some rain around here I was thinking more along the lines of a couple of hours of a nice steady overnight rain.  I wasn't really looking for a front to park itself over Macomb County and drop 2 to 3 inches of rain over a short period of time Woman Surprised

It started coming down around 8: 30 pm and when I tell you it was coming down hard, it was coming down hard.  I kept checking my basement because I had a feeling that the storm drain sewers outside were not going to be able to accommodate all that rain.

At first I was happy when I didn't see any water in the basement because I thought, well, it's been so darn dry maybe the storm drains out there are near empty.

My joy was short lived Woman Mad After about an hour of this non stop rain that wasn't moving out of my county, I checked the basement and there it was, water on the floor.

It's kind of hard to get the water up when you can see it bubbling up out of the drain.  It was ironic, the rain water was bubbling up out of one drain and I was trying to sweep it down into the other drain that is for house plumbing/waste. 

I worked on it until 11:30 pm and then I said, Bernie go to bed and get the rest of it tomorrow.

I worked on it more this morning until Presto started yodelling for her food and morning routine. Woman Very Happy

I had some breakfast and am working on my second cup of coffee.  Once I finish this, I go downstairs, get the last of the little pools of water and then I mop the floor with some Clorox (and a little water). 

I have a storage area with door under the basement stairs and I've never had to worry about flooding there since that wall is shared with the attached garage.  I don't know what made me check that area last night but I did and saw just a little water and for the life of me I don't know where it came from.

Out came all of the Christmas decorations and I did lose one cardboard box (but not the contents).  I think I'm going to be heading over to the home depot (if not today, in the next day or so) to buy a couple of more store tubs made of plastic.  I think I'm also going to look into some heavy duty metal shelving units. 

I don't store very many things directly on the floor.  Moving forward, I don't want anything on the floor.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I got some of those bagels and we can sit outside early this morning with a cup of coffee. By 9 o'clock, the latest 10, we would be scooting inside as the heat is turning up again on us. Hope the humidity stays away for sure. Expecting 104 tomorrow. Well this is August so I should not be surprised. Hurry up!

The fruitless mulberry I thought I was saving is giving up. This is in the backyard - one died out back two years ago. Not leaving much shade and it makes the world of difference. Through the years the back yard has been super well shaded and we often have been out there, kids could play but without enough shade cannot do it. Also impacts temps inside the house. We have AC but those trees just help. Sigh. Now not only the expense of removing the dead trees but trying to figure out if I replace them. $$$ you know. Never have had to face this before. Always something.

Have a great day everyone.

Honored Contributor

Freddie @Winifred   I have a fruitless mulberry at the back of my yard and my tree guy told me, that's a weed.  He hates so many different kinds of trees I'm surprised he went into the business Woman Very Happy  I told him, hey I didn't ask if you liked it, I'm paying you to prune it and keep it healthy.

You are right, they sure do know how to give shade.  I kind of wish mine hadn't been planted so close to the cyclone fence back there because the bigger the tree gets, the more it's bending that fence.  Still not reason enough for me to cut it down.

The squirrels like it.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Freddie @Winifred   I have a fruitless mulberry at the back of my yard and my tree guy told me, that's a weed.  He hates so many different kinds of trees I'm surprised he went into the business Woman Very Happy  I told him, hey I didn't ask if you liked it, I'm paying you to prune it and keep it healthy.

You are right, they sure do know how to give shade.  I kind of wish mine hadn't been planted so close to the cyclone fence back there because the bigger the tree gets, the more it's bending that fence.  Still not reason enough for me to cut it down.

The squirrels like it.

@Bird mama   I had to have cut down an enormous pine tree that was planted too close to the house eons ago by a previous owner, because it had completely smashed in my gutter, didn't want it to get the roof too, $1,800.00, nearly fainted.  There is still another one near that, and it has pushed in a short brick raised planting area, so if we move, that will be an issue unless DH can remove some of the bricks.

When we bought this house with all of the wonderful trees, never occurred to me that it would be an ongoing expense, and it was okay for many years, every third year spent $2,000 to have tons of trees pruned and dead brush  removed and hauled away, but now it costs a fortune for so little, so put it off as long as I can, and we prune what we can reach, even with a very long saw not easy to prune high up, but next Spring, I must have some trees pruned, branches removed away from the roof.

Trusted Contributor

today is my daughter/SILs 25 wedding anniversary.they are going to Hawaii in two weeks.they own a condo there. This weekend the property mang. called to tell them there was a fire in there unit. The renters bought a electric scooter with them. Plugged it in to charge and went out for a few hours. The dam thing overheated,blew up. They had no real burn from flames,but it was a lithium battery.its looks like shrapnel in the condo. They will probably have to trash everything,even the kitchen cabinets smell. They have insurance,but it’s still a pain in the butt,esp. being so far away.they will see the insurance person while there there. They think the odor will never leave the furniture,bedding. Feel so bad for them. She said they will stay at a hotel and have a good time. You just never know 🥴

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl I feel your pain regarding tree maintenance.  I paid $1200 just to have the silver maple out front pruned for it's own health.  I think I'm due next year to have the black walnut and mulberry pruned again.  These will be regular old pruning and not structural pruning (surgery) so I am hoping that the two trees together will not cost me an arm and a leg.  

I can usually go 5 years between prunings.  Since I had major work done on the silver maple out front I should only need trimming near the roof in a couple of years.  The tree guy swore to me (lol) I will never have to do anything so drastic to the silver maple again in it's life time.

We'll see Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Epicurean   First off, congratulations to your daughter and her husband on their 25th wedding anniversary.

Second, I never knew a lithium battery could do so much damage.  Now I'm gonna be scared of lithium batteries Woman Frustrated

I suppose it's a blessing that no one was in the condo when the battery blew. If you think about it, the renters could have left the scooter plugged in while they were sleeping or just sitting around.

I'm so sorry that they have to deal with the carnage on what should be a vacation to celebrate their anniversary. 

Your daughter has a great attitude and I applaud her for not letting this get between her and a joyful trip/vacation/celebration.

Trusted Contributor

Birdmama,I never knew about the batteries either. Her cleaning lady went to take pictures for the. Everything in the condo is just covered with black soot. They have had the condo for 15 years and in that time they have completely redone the whole thing,including new kitchen. What a mess it is. They are lucky that in 15 years no one has caused any other damage as you know people sometimes don’t care if it’s not there home.

Honored Contributor

Good Morning all.  The sun is shining (for now) and it's a beautiful day.  I was able to do the yard work yesterday so I should be all set for another 2 weeks. 

I'm leaving a couple of pans of hasbrown breakfast cupcakes.  Both have eggs, cheese and hasbrowns.  One has bacon, one has sausage.  Fresh coffee and hot water for tea is also available.

Image result for hashbrown breakfast cupcakes

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Good Morning all.  The sun is shining (for now) and it's a beautiful day.  I was able to do the yard work yesterday so I should be all set for another 2 weeks. 

I'm leaving a couple of pans of hasbrown breakfast cupcakes.  Both have eggs, cheese and hasbrowns.  One has bacon, one has sausage.  Fresh coffee and hot water for tea is also available.

Image result for hashbrown breakfast cupcakes

@Bird mama   Where did you find these muffins so I can see the recipe.