Respected Contributor

Re: Lofthouse Cookies - my new Cheryl's cookies

[ Edited ]

@Havarti wrote:

Thank you to Lofthouse cookie lovers who pointed me in the direction to try these cookies!  I have always enjoyed Cheryl's cookies - mostly the plain white buttercream.  If you can get simply a dozen, it runs at least $30 for 12 so it is a rare treat, but one that is always enjoyed.  Well, I have read on here several times about Lofthouse cookies, but never found them, or at least ones I would like.  Today was the day!  I found 1 dozen Lofthouse cookies at Aldi for under $3 (HUGE difference in price).  True, they are not individually wrapped, but I can live with that fact.  I would say they are 95% as good - probably only because I am used to Cheryl's.  For the price difference and convenience of finding locally I have officially switched brands!  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Yep, that Lofthouse cookie just melts away in your mouth.  Was in Aldi yesterday and grabbed two dozen...yep 6$ total for those.  Glad you like them. 

And to address the Berger cookie, Baltimore City is my home and we ate those cookies growing up. My mom used to hide them and oh boy are they good.  When I worked downtown, we used to walk for lunch to Lexington Market and go to the Berger stall and grab a bag. That was after we consumed Mary Mervis shrimp salad sandwich. Ah those wonderful memories...

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay wrote:

@Havarti -

They are made in the Baltimore area so all surrounding grocery stores have them.

But you can also order online!

Underneath that huge mound of incredible fudge frosting is a wonderful soft cookie that just goes so well with the chocolate. And just one makes you feel like you have eaten the best of the day!

They are always so incredible fresh.

What....I am near Baltimore!!!!

I NEVER heard of this product, going to Google now to see if I can order online!

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Trusted Contributor

I just searched Amazon and great reviews but shipping issues and comments about PRICE .   I may have to go to Baltimore to get when I go to the big farmers market.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Contributor

I have never had Cheryl's cookies, but I bought some Lofthouse cookies at Aldi's once and we ended up throwing them away.  They tasted like tasteless cardboard with frosting. Hopefully, I got a bad batch.  They were stale and dry.

Trusted Contributor

I guess I will go to my grave never knowing the joys of Bergers cookies.  I went to their site and while the cookies are only $5.99 for a 15 oz. 6/pack (affordable) - the shipping for that one package is nearly $18.00 plus the cost of the cookies (not affordable for me on a fixed income).  I guess I will just have to look at the picture, use my vivid imagination and rely on the yummy discriptions & memories of all who know & love this special cookie.  Thanks for sharing your love of Bergers cookies with me - I had never heard of them before.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

@Havarti -

I'm so sorry .

If I could send you a package I would!

If you are ever in the Baltimore- washington area, be sure to stop at any local grocery store and load up!

Or if desperate, buy a can of the best dark chocolate icing you can and get a spoon, turn on a movie and you've almost got it!

And don't foget to pick up a package of UTZ potato chips if you ever get thereSmiley HappyWoman Very Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

@on the bay 

Thank you for the kind thoughts and I think I will take you up on the idea of frosting & a big spoon!  I travelled on the road for over 25 years (major travel), so now in retirement I have sworn off all travel - I don't even take people to or from the airport.  Home sweet home is what I worked for all those years and now is my time to enjoy what I missed so much when I was gone.  

UTZ potato chips are another treasure I missed trying!  Why oh why didn't I learn about these wonderful regional favorites while I was on the road????  I sat in many a hotel room and pigged out on delicious treats that where local favorites and recommended to me by the people who lived there and loved specific things.  All those years made me sick & tired of eating the usual stuff found in all restaurants in every city.  I loved to find a local treasure!  These would have been right up my alley!

Honored Contributor

@Havarti -

What a wonderful story and yes! You deserve a lot of Home Sweet Home to your heart's content!

Have a beautiful holiday!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

@on the bay 

Thanks!  You have a good holiday, too, and a wonderful 2020.

Honored Contributor

@Havarti   There's a recipe for copycat Berger Cookies on the King Arthur Flour website.  When I did a search for Berger Cookies, this website came up.  They sound delicious.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau