Honored Contributor

Re: Levothyroxine Morning or Night

@Icegoddess wrote:

@CJC wrote:

@AnikaBrodie wrote:

@joann1218    I have taken Levothyroxine for many years.  I always take it in the morning first thing with a full glass of water.  I eat breakfast within 30 minutes of taking it, per my doctor's directions.  I have never taken it at night.

I take it same as you.....been doing that way for 53 years. When I began taking thyroid drug in 1968 synthetic brands like Synthroid were not yet widely in use. I began by taking desiccated thyroid hormone, I think it was made from the urine of female horses. Times have changed!

@CJC Natural Dessicated Thyroid hormone is still available.  Armour Thyroid is dessicated pig's thyroid.  The adantage is supposedly that you get all the T's, not just T-3 that most doctors base their decisions on.  Synthroid and Levothyroxine is only T-3, which has worked for me for years, but some people do better on an NDT.  A lot of insurances will no longer pay for Natural Dessicated Thyroid (NDT) for whatever reason.

I pay for my Armour. I had many problems starting in my early 30s and have tried several of the synthetics before getting to where I am.

In my experience, it's not easy to FIND a good, sympathetic endocrinologist, and the average PCP or endo may not have the time or interest to work with a patient to find the BEST solution rather than just an OK solution. 

Esteemed Contributor

Don,t take ang iron for four hours after. I take synthroid .  Didn,t know about  soy or calcium.   I Better check.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I take this med too and take it every morning and then I  wait an hour to have some breakfast. 

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I take my levothyroxine in the morning 30 minutes before I even think about eating. It's what 2 doctors told me to do.

Honored Contributor

I've taken mine at bedtime since 1989. I don't eat after 6 or 7 pm, and I take it between 10-11 pm. My internist & endocrinologist said that was perfectly fine. I've had no issues. 

Respected Contributor

I've been taking it now for 60 years.  I take it in the morning.  While my Dr. said you can take it before bed, he said it's best to take it in the morning because it absorbs better on an empty stomach.  That's why there is no eating for 30-60 minutes after taking it.  

Trusted Contributor

I take my meds before breakfast,one hour later comes breakfast.when in the hospital many times they will put  all of them together.I know I am not the only patient there,so maybe that is why.Staff always busy!

Respected Contributor

at bedtime 

Honored Contributor

@joann1218 wrote:

I have started to take levothyroxine. I have been taking it in the moring before breakfast. I read that some people take it at night before going to bed. I think I would like taking this at night  because some days I don't feel like waiting the hour before having my morning cup of coffee. I am going to ask my doctor about this at my next visit, but I thought I check to see if anyone here takes levothyroxind at night. Thank you.

@joann1218 

Why in Heaven's name would think you have to wait an hour before drinking coffee?   How could a liquid interfere with absorption?   

Honored Contributor

https://www.google.com/search?q=does+coffee+interfere+with+levothyroxine&oq=will+caffeine+interfere+...

That's a page from Google about how coffee interferes with levothyroxine.  It really does.

I take mine at night mainly because I take a bucket load of pills in the morning and just want to take it at night.  My doctor takes this med as well and told me that taking it in the morning was just fine but when I tried I almost immediately got chills back again (I have several responses to hypothyroidism.  So I went back to taking it at night and it's working out very well for me. 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*