Honored Contributor

Re: LEARNING FROM MOM HOW NOT TO AGE

@millieshops wrote:

@ShanusWhat you and the rest of your family are doing is both heart breaking and heart warming. 

As I move along to old age (some would say I'm already there), I also try to take my cues from my elders whose lives still look good to me, but I also recognize there are some things that happen to us no matter what choices we make.  These may be emotional \or physical  or mental changes, and no amount of family intervention or assistance makes the difference we'd like to see.

I speak from long personal experience as I see my fourth family member sink into memory loss, and over the 40+ years since the first, we've seen very little in the way of advances in this area even as lots of medical advances extend our life spans. 

Yes, the process can be frustrating and even scary, but the struggle is worthwhile.  I've taken that cue from my mother, who, when my father died young, I still can hear saying an hour after we got the news "We will survive."  We did -  we survived and thrived. 

So, Shanus, push on.  You and mom are both doing the best you can even on the days you want to scream.

Thanks for the encouragement @millieshops. Well said. 

Honored Contributor

@violet runner wrote:

I can relate as well. My mother is 89  and the same things you describe is her.  Sometimes it is environment that plays  a role and other times it's Mother Nature having her way. Even though she and  your aunt are from the same blood,  bodies are different and the end game is different for each of us no matter what we do. I too thought my Mom could do better for herself.. move more, eat healthy, not be so isolated... etc. but at my last visit ( I live far away) I think I am ok with they way things are going for her.  I was going to swoop in and try and change things, but after a week with her, I decided to let things stay as they are..  Might be too late anyway. 

That being said, yes, I have learned  some value lessons seeing her decline.  For me, my mantras are: keep moving, eat whole foods, and socialize as much as I feel like.  

Thanks for sharing your story.. 

@violet runner  @Shanus  All of the stories here could have been written by me.  I have been through that.  My mother was near death from isolation, hardheadness, refusal to do anything but smoke and eat lean cuisine and sit in her chair in her housecoat.  Wouldn't go see people, wouldn't call us, wouldn't do ANYTHING but had some hangers on in her town who soaked her for money to do things, acted like they were family, took her to the emergency room and hospital and wouldn't tell us for days if ever. . . you get the drift.

She lives a long way from us.  These people were killing her allowing her to live this way getting her groceries and helping her lie to us about her condition.  They had "recommended" a housekeeper who came by, mother fixed food for her and they watched tv together.  She was really in mother's pockets and had access to everything.  She once accused me of "being jealous of" the HOUSEKEEPER when I questioned some of what was going on.  But what can you do?  Not a darned thing.

TO make a long story short, she finally got afraid to stay there because of some things she thought were going on (I'm not sure if it was real or not) and DECIDED to go to a nursing home (5 years ago)  rather than assisted living which she said she couldn't do.  She perked up there within a week (5  years ago!) and now may be healthier than me although her dementia progresses.  She is 97.

People say "why didn't you make her" and I'm like and how am I going to do that please tell me?  She would die before she'd listen to ME (I am her child and therefore not as smart as she is and have no right to tell her what to do).  You can't get someone assessed incompetent if they don't SEEM to be and can make a good argument for themselves.

So yes, I share your pain and while some people may not understand or accept this, you can't always do something about a parent until it is too late to help much.  It is terrible and the guilt is terrible and the anger at this even happening is the worst of all because it leads back to the guilt and the helplessness you feel.   And sometimes the anger over the loss of life, yours and hers, that should never have happened this way.

Honored Contributor

Sad as it is there is really nothing that can be done to keep the body from decline in the later years.All of the healthy living won’t stop our bodies and minds from just wearing out.I think that after awhile some choose to just give up the long endless fight against illness and pain and loneliness.It is so hard to watch people we love lose their abilities and strengths.At times I feel angry with my mom for not following her doctors orders but I wonder if it is just my own selfish dreams for her to be who she was so that I can feel better and worry less.I have decided to accept her choices as to how she lives out her remaining time even if I don’t think they are the best as long as she is safe....so very sad.

Honored Contributor

For the life of me, I can't figure out why everyone is putting such pressure on 90 year old woman.  It's like making her last days as miserable as they can.  Eating right ??? seriously???  She isn't going to live forever and "eating right" isn't going to do anything for her now.  Tastes buds weaken as we grow older so it's possible that is why she likes sweets and snacks.  She can taste them.  She obviously doesn't do her own shopping so whoever does should have some compassion and common sense and buy the foods that give her pleasure....and that she'll eat.  Your mother has multiple issues but as you said, she's 90.  Some people in that age group do sort of "retire" or "withdraw" from life.  It's very common.  They do sit in front of the tv, stare out of a window for hours.  If she can be coaxed to go out with someone and take daily walk, that would be good for her but it she doesn't want to.  Leave her alone.  Let her watch her tv programs.  I know it's hard for you because she's your mother but she's at the end of her life.  So, leave her alone and just attend to safety and hygiene issues.

Having said that, you should indeed use your aunt as your role model.  The people who age well and stay connected and truly "live" their lives deep into their 90's and now into their 100's are the people who stayed mentally and physically active all their lives.  They never "morphed" into sedentary elderly people, they just kept being their selves and living their lives.  Yes, I think when you speak to those people they tell you they ate well, more of a balanced diet than anything extreme.  All things in moderation. Many of the health issues that older people struggle with are lifestyle issues that could have been avoided or treated....they just didn't because in the 60's and 70's those things are manageable.  And then in their 80's and 90's, they pay the price.   

Honored Contributor

@Sooner. You hit the nail on the head. There’s a lot of frustration and guilt. She’s in her own apartment in a gated community for folks who may need “further care”. There is assisted living accommodations on premises as well as a health center and a gym, physical therapy building, all meals included in her cost of purchasing her apartment. She refuses to attend meals...healthy ones prepared by competent chefs who know what to put on the menus. She’d rather have her box of Mac n Cheese & sit w/ the remote.

I’m trying so hard to give up the guilt and stop traveling there 3 or 4 times a week. It’s not helping her & wearing me out. It takes time away from my dh and the rest of my family who moved close to us a year ago. My granddaughters are within spitting distance & I’m on the road all the time. DH has threatened to take my keys (lol) to help out & keep me from going out of guilt.

Doing my best. I’ll be in Seattle w/ DD & SIL in a few weeks  for a very long visit. Then DH & I have a 49th anniversary trip planned the 2nd week of August. I’m hoping nothing “happens” that cancels our plans.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  Unfortunately, we can't help others from their own devices.  I couldn't keep my mother from her demise.  That is really hard to accept, but the best we can do is not repeat the devastation.  You are doing the very best you can, learning from the lessons in order to create a positive change in your life.  My heart goes out to you.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Shanus  Unfortunately, we can't help others from their own devices.  I couldn't keep my mother from her demise.  That is really hard to accept, but the best we can do is not repeat the devastation.  You are doing the very best you can, learning from the lessons in order to create a positive change in your life.  My heart goes out to you.

@phoenixbrd  💕

Honored Contributor

@ShanusJust go and enjoy your visit to Seattle without guilt.You deserve some time away.Life is short and we need to appreciate that gift.Nothing you can do will change the path that your mom is on no matter how much you wish it.

Honored Contributor

@dex. Good advice. 🌺

Esteemed Contributor

I am sorry you are going through this.  I have to say though that I can see myself being like this at 90 years old.  She has to be depressed.  It would be hard not to be. Her husband is gone, she feels like cr*p, and she is lonely.  Of course she has control over her health and social life.  But when you are depressed, it is difficult to make the effort to change anything.

You are doing your best to care for her and you have nothing to feel bad about.  Enjoy the time you do have with her and leave it at that.

Thank you for telling us about your Aunt.  My Aunt is like that too, and I need to pay more attention to what she does to stay so healthy and active.  Thank you for sharing your experience.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead