Honored Contributor

Re: Just got a call from my friend......

[ Edited ]

@SXMGirl

Sounds like maybe they need to take the car back, and stop paying his rent. etc

For somebody who's going to become a Dr., they sure are lacking bedside manners.

Respected Contributor

Very wrong - very wrong - shows he doesn't appreciate a thing his parents did for him - I think neither of them should go and just show him how they feel.  And I certainly wouldn't do another thing for him after that until he shows them some respect.  Kinda how my youngest treated me after she graduated - no thank you for getting out of college debt free - nothing.  Her son is just another spoiled brat that thinks the world owes him. 

Honored Contributor

I think the tickets should go to his parents, and I think the girlfriend should have declined when he offered her one, jmo

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

The only thing I'd say to my son is, "Surely you can get more tickets.  Dad and I would love to come, but can't decide who should go.  Let us know when you get more tickets.  Love, Mom and Dad"

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Even if the son changes his mind (and comes to his senses) and invites both of his parents, it will still be a mess.The damage is done.

Honored Contributor

If I was the girlfriend, I would  be insisting that the parents attend.  Then I would put together a small party dinner inviting friends and family after the ceremony.  This would create an affirmative and positive relationship to perhaps a more permanent commitment in the future.  If I was the son, I would be sensitive to the fact that a girlfriend is not anticipating hard feelings given the ticket situation.  But that is me, not he.  The parents need to have a heart-to-heart with the son.  This was a very lengthy commitment and required major dedication both financially/emotionally on their behalf.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I were the girlfriend I also would insist both his parents go instead of me!!  She could celebrate after with him!!  

Super Contributor

missy1 wrote:

@racalamb

It would be the bio parents of the graduate IMO.

Really? What if the bio mother lived out of town and never contributed but the bonus Mom did eveything? The parents are divorced, so bio Dad leaves Bonus Mom @home? Seems pretty odd?

Frequent Contributor

I'd be curious to know how often the parents talk to their son by phone (or in person) vs. email.  I find it interesting that he chose to email them with that message!  Is he totally insensitive (wouldn't want him as a doctor!), or feeling very guilty?!?

Respected Contributor

I agree.  Parents should go.  I'd like to add the girlfriend should be seeing the big picture and offer her ticket.  That's what I'd do.  If it was me, I'd insist the parents go.