Honored Contributor

@luvsbulldogs                                                      

Isn't that the best feeling?  I tell people they much be special to have a Robin set up a nest on their property.

I have ducks that spend the night, sparrows, blue jays, cowbirds and grackles over there in the pines.

No Robins.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

The bird of the day is the Purple Martin

This one looks as sober as a judge, lol

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama

Yes, it is a wonderful feeling.  I was so excited to see the mama Robin building her nest here.  Even more excited to see that her babies made it.  I read someplace that Robin babies have a high rate of not surviving while in the nest.  I am honored that she chose our property to have her family at. 

OK now for a funny.........DD took this pic. of her pool yesterday Notice anything strange?

Resized_20160615_052256.jpg

Honored Contributor

The highly endangered snow leopard (4000-6000 in the world)  live as high as 18,000 feet and endure winters in some of the world’s coldest places. They are solitary, always on the move, and sleep at night in almost always a different location.:

Honored Contributor

@luvsbulldogs

I see I'm not alone on the duck front, rofl.

Respected Contributor

Well darn, noticed today one of my feeders was down on the ground - still full of food. It is an old one. The plastic cord it hangs on finally broke - may fix a new cord to hold it up with string - hope it will work. Am surprised I had not noticed it before.

HEAT IS APPROACHING - DARN IT.

Honored Contributor

Re: June 2016 Bird's Nest

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama @luvsbulldogs  Several years ago, I knew there were Robins nests because all of a sudden there were robin kids lining up at the big water bowl waiting their turn for a swim, some squabbling amongst the kids, lol, but I was entertained all spring with them bathing and flying around.  At one point, I went into a stand of Salvia that had spread a lot, very tall, so went in to pull/dig out some of it, and low and behold there were several Robins's nests,  about midway up the plants, easy for something to get them.  There is only one remaining, but they must nest elsewhere because I see them around.

I am glad your nestlings made it, luvs. Smiley Happy  I used to be so nervous when Mourning Doves were nesting in so many hanging baskets, and didn't relax until they left the nests.

Honored Contributor

:

Luvs,  Congrats on the successful fledging of the baby robins.   I don't think I've ever seen a robin down here in Florida near my son's home.  I know I've never seen one in his yard.   We did have white ibises a couple times lately.  They are so cool to watch as they probe the ground with their long curvy beaks.  

They've got blue eyes, like the cormorants down here.  Don't see too many blue eyed birds. 

Honored Contributor

Double-crested Cormorant | Double Crested Cormorant | Flickr - Photo Sharing!:

Honored Contributor

Anhinga, these are among the goofiest birds to me.  They are waterfowl that don't glide ON the water like ducks; they only stick their heads up out of the water.:

Anhinga,  one of these was in the pond down the street near my son's home.  They are cool birds, but have to kind of dry off before they can fly,  No oil glands to coat their feathers like most diving birds.  They sit on the banks or a rock, branch, with their wings spread out like above till they dry a bit.   

Below is a female anhinga.  They are also called Water Turkey or Snake Bird,  They swim with only their head an neck above the surface.  They catch their fish while swimming underwater.  They can really move fast under the surface.  Charlie and I used to watch one in particular who used to sit on a rock on the bay under our bedroom balcony at the Holiday Inn in Key West.  The balcony was over the water.  That Inn has since been torn down.  Shame on them, it was wonderful there,