Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

The laying people off when there is a merger, and then re-posting for essentially the same job weeks or months later, is not at all unusual. It happens all the time. It is 'used' for several reasons - the new corporate wants new/"their" people, there are people they just want gone, they want to pay new hires less money, etc. supervisory personnel or those in charge of an area are usually the first to go. All the company needs to say is that the position was eliminated because it wasn't needed, cost-cutting, etc. *at the time.* Then they realized later on they did need someone in a *similar* position, with a few differences to the position and it's all legal.  Pretty morally carpy, but legal. It's just how companies function.

In addition, unless you were a unionized worker (although supervisory personnel are usually not), you were at "at will" employee. That means you can be let go without a reason as long as it's not discriminatory. This is the way of the world now, where loyalty and dedication to a company is is considered weakness.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

Look for another job: the reason this one may have been available is that it is way too ambitious for the amount of work one person can do. I see this a lot. I remember once, a guy was having to interview everyone in the company to firm up job descriptions. The interviews took 10 or 15 min, then there was the notes to write up. So if there were 1000 people, how long would that take/ Well, his boss said she wanted it in a week and you can see there would be simply no time to make that happen. When he did the calculation for this dimwit, she said "I JUST WANT..." which means she could have asked him to be Peter Pan and fly through the window. Ain't happening.

The fact this trainer ignores your requests to slow down is suspect, too. You can ask your supervisor to speak with her, but chances are that will just make you look bad (you can't keep up) so it's a no win situation. Find an new situation as soon as you can. 

Not ever job is a good or fair one. 

Esteemed Contributor

30 miniutes for lunch is NORMAL for most work places.

So you have to wait for your badge, and you have to wait for someone to let you in. Big whoop. You're new. 

As far as getting up at 4:30 in the morning, that too is not unheard of.

Your trainer gave you good advice to take the notes home to study, but you don't want to help yourself by doing that.

It's up to you to sink or swim with this company.

They don't owe you anything.

If you are that miserable, and refuse to conform to the company standards, then quit, and find a job that revolves around you and treats you like a queen.

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I don't mean any offense; I do have to wonder if you are new to this kind of business world.  I see everything you described almost everywhere.  I'm not saying it's right but I'm saying it sounds pretty normal to me.  

You are the only one who can fix it.  Ask for a few minutes to sit down with your trainer and explain your training needs and ask to slow down a little.   No complaining or anything, keep your voice in a level, professional tone and explain your needs.

Good luck to you!

I tend to agree. I get up at 5-5:30 every morning and have done so for the entire 46 years of my working life. But I knew the hours when I accepted the jobs, and also knew that I had 30 minutes for lunch when I accepted the jobs. It wasn't like I was unaware/didn't realize until after I started working.

I have been both trainee and trainer over those years. I have always taken copious notes on a daily basis when new, re-read and re-written them to make sure they were accurate, checked with my trainer for accuracy - on my own time if necessary. Within the past year I had to learn several huge new aspects of my job, involving this same process, and I am past retirement age. It wasn't fun, but I did it.

As a trainer I expect people to take notes, as detailed as they feel necessary. I have no problem waiting while the note-taking is occurring - but people have to ask me to stop and wait while they write - and I was never shy about saying wait while I write this down, please when I was being trained - and I am neither aggressive nor assertive.

Yes, I come home exhausted, but I can pay the rent. I've been in a highly stressful environment for almost 18 years and am retiring at the end of the month. But I did what I had to do for those 18 years, ugly and stressful as it has been.

The older one gets, the less valuable they are perceived in the workplace, for many reasons. You do often need to work "harder" to keep up with new technology and other aspects, while being perceived as not doing as much, not working as hard. It isn't necessarily true or fair, but it just IS.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

By the way, I too was made to leave due to being 50 (I'm now 64.) I could retire if I want, but I enjoy working. 

I had to change entire careers. It was hard but I made a success of it and have a much better career, one that I wish I started all along. But it was difficult.

The pattern of age discrimination (like layoff and then rehire a younger person ) is pervasive. Everyone over 50 was canned after re-interviewing at our old firm. It's still going on over a decade later. No one has been prosecuted for this illegal activity because the government believes that Baby Boomers should make way for younger people. You know we worship youth in this country. They wanted in every interview (and I had many) someone with my long resume of unique skills, but when they saw I was an old bag and not a twenty something, they'd literally frown in the interview when I walked in. Yeah. I'm not twenty. How did you think all that experience happened? 

It's very difficult and one trick they do to older workers is to train at top speed to make sure they can show they don't keep up. It's lousy training even for a younger person but it proves "their point."

Another reason older workers are despised is that insurance premiums are way higher. 

And when an older worker is asked to do something illegal or stupid, instead of sucking it up and cowing to it, they protest. THat makes younger bosses feel nervous as they got the mandate to do whatever from THEIR boss. I've seen that. 

Esteemed Contributor

Glad you gave it a whole 3 days.

After reading the long list of complaints, criticisms and snipes at other workers, I am sure your new employeer is also questioning thier decision.  If you feel you are never going to be happy, you should leave now.  Why continue to waste yours and others time.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor

Re: Job So Stressful

[ Edited ]

I already used unemployment.

My former employer has tried to lure me back (behind the back of HR) with the first posting of my former job.   So, it's not about restructuring and finding "their own people." They made a mistake and were trying to get me back.

I may be new at the new job, but it would be a lot more welcoming to have a badge to enter the building.   I think a badge is more impt than a name on a temporary door.

I ran the whole dept where I was laid off.   I trained people and gave them all they needed to succeed.   

I'm no princess nor queen.   I am also suffering from severe dry eye and can't see out of my glasses because the doctor won't give me an exam to give me the right prescription.  I can't afford right now to go to eye doctors because of my deductible and high costs.   All the work I have to do is on the computer and it loses me because I can't see!   I have a disability now and it makes trying to see the computer screen and paperwork more difficult.   How do you think that feels going into a new job.  You can't explain that on an interview.

Maybe I should just slit my wrists and get it over with.

Respected Contributor

I hear you - been there - I took a legal secretary job in a new city - didn't know this attorney was not well liked - I quit in two days when they handed me a thick notebook on of his emails - one was 8 pages long on how someone answered the phone wrong.  It was a small office - so many people they were almost sitting on each other's laps - you couldn't concentrate on your work -no paid sick days - ne had time to train me.  Called in second day and quit.  I suggest you not quit - but start looking for another job in the meantime - life's too short to stress yourself out!

Valued Contributor

This post has been removed by QVC. Could be hurtful to another poster.

Honored Contributor

Apple, I also have dry eye syndome due to fibromyalgia and have problems seeing with my glasses.  It isn't the glasses that will change that.  Please see your Primary Care Physician and go from there.  He or she might recommend a good eye drop that will help.  Not only about your eyes but maybe a good talk to your Doctor about what is going on & your feelings.  If you are that unhappy with this new position and you could financially leave and look for something else, I'd do that but that's just me & alot easier said than done. 

I wish you the very best in whatever you choose to do and hope things work out for you. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee