Honored Contributor

Re: January 2017 Back Fence - COME ON DOWN

I've adjusted to a house without Christmas decorations :-)  It's too cold (to me) to get up on a ladder and take down the outdoor lights, so those things will wait.

I've been on a deep cleaning kick today - the stove burners got it this afternoon.  I went to Home Depot and picked up some commerical strength Drano, drain tubing for the humidifier attached to the furnace and light bulbs.  Boring, lol.

Other than that, just puttering around the house.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's dreary here today but at least we've escaped the ice so far.  We are all electric here so if we lose power we are sol.  The ice is to the south of us but we might get some.  

Went to Costco to get printer ink but their sale was on strictly black ink and you had to buy two packages of two. It would take a long time to use that much tho Merle does a lot of printing.  Went to Office Depot and their deal was a little better.   The kid who tried to act like he knew what he was talking about tried to sell us just a plain black and I wondered why there wasn't a black xl which has more ink.  He said they didn't have such a thing so I picked up the color combo with black xl, walked  around the corner and there was black xl. We picked that up as our second package.  The kids had long disappeared since we weren't buying his suggestion so I didn't get to say I told you so.  Lol.  The dampness makes it feel really clammy.  We stopped on our way home at 2 pm and decided to have breakfast.    Tasted pretty good but we are not going to be hungry tonight tho.     I think the whole neighborhood is staying inside this afternoon, there's not a single car moving.   

Bernie I'm glad you realized it was not fit weather to take down outside decorations.  Hope everyone is doing well.  I haven't done anything exciting so ho hum. Lol

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

I've adjusted to a house without Christmas decorations :-)  It's too cold (to me) to get up on a ladder and take down the outdoor lights, so those things will wait.

I've been on a deep cleaning kick today - the stove burners got it this afternoon.  I went to Home Depot and picked up some commerical strength Drano, drain tubing for the humidifier attached to the furnace and light bulbs.  Boring, lol.

Other than that, just puttering around the house.

@Bird mama  I am removing ornaments from the kitchen tree today so DH can put it away tomorrow.  I am leaving the wintry scenes up until Easter. Smiley Happy  I may take down the living room tree at the end of January.  I am mainly on my yearly organizing mania beginning with compressor bags, just bought at HSN in leopard Smiley Happy, to store on the bedroom shelves, and will add to the enormous mountain of clothes, etc. that I will be donating as soon as I am finished, or let's say finished for the time being.

Honored Contributor

After a 6 week hiatus, my middle sister and I resumed our Sunday morning movies.

Today we went to see A Monster Calls.  

Image result for monster calls

Here's a description:

12-year-old Conor, dealing with his mother's illness, a less-than-sympathetic grandmother, and bullying classmates, finds a most unlikely ally when a Monster appears at his bedroom window. Ancient, wild, and relentless, the Monster guides Conor on a journey of courage, faith, and truth.

Don't let the word Monster fool you - this is not a kid's fantasy movie. Well kind of, but the subject matter is deep and tender and well suited for adults.

I don't recall swear words, there was no nudity.  PG-13 rating.

Respected Contributor

Betty, had to chuckle re your comments on shopping for the ink. The attitude you ran into seems to be the thing this day and time in a lot of stores. Just terrible. Cannot quite figure it all out but you sure run into a lot of ignorance and rudeness. Mostly I find the bottom line is ignorance - and minimum wage has gone up - makes you wonder. Will say however, our ONE grocery store right here which I have never liked is changing a bit. They now have someone near the checkout registers to see if you need help, they sometimes will take your groceries out and put them on the conveyor, they will also open up another register and tap you on the shoulder to say follow me. What a difference that has made but still do not like the store but have noticed their common courtesy and assistance has actually gone over the top. Wonders will never cease I guess but still hope and pray we can get another grocery store here rather than having to drive at least 5 miles or so. A year ago we had THREE here. Sigh.

Another very cold morning - need to get people moving as Sears is expected between 8 a.m. and noon. With my luck it will be noon. LOL. They are here to fix a hinge or something on my stove. I have a drop in stove - LOVE IT - and for the first time something is wrong with the top - will not seat itself properly. Shannon? Yep, you bet. She destroys everything.and I just cannot figure out her attitude on things.

Yesterday was busy but super productive. Good message at church - Davey home today due to MLK holiday. Coffee is very good being made in that Keurig maker my oldest Grand sent me for Christmas. Tad pricey but at least can find the cups most anywhere - my Hamilton Beach one cup maker was getting very difficult to locate pods - for a couple years now have been ordering them from Amazon. They were pricey too but cheaper than this but I really liked the coffee you got from those pods.

Hope all have a great day!

Don't see Queen Sue anywhere - not on FB or here. Am soooooooooooo worried about her. Anyone know anything> Usually I hear something from her one way or the other but nothing for a while now.

Honored Contributor

We're getting a touch of freezing rain here.  It was dry when I went into the grocery store and freezing rain when I came out.  Hopefully this will pass on by and the commute tomorrow morning won't be a case of the ice capades.

Honored Contributor

Hello all, it's foggy and drizzling outside my 18th floor window today.  I slept pretty good last night.  Much improvement over the night before when I had nightmares.  I don't have bad dreams often, but when I do they are doozies.

Not too much going on in my world.  I worked on decluttering my closet a little yesterday.  Still don't have the outdoor Christmas lights down, lol.

Respected Contributor

Another cold morning but no rain - YET. Saw earlier where NO rain was expected today - then the TV says, yes there is - later on. Just wish they could make up their minds. I know the next few days we will have steady rain but it will not be coming down in downpours - any favor is accepted.

Where is everyone and where is the food. Times they are changing I guess. Several threads here on the Q boards seem to be slowing down after many many years of strong participation - so very sorry to see that. I realize we have lost some posters and of course that is always sad. Some others are still with us but just do not post any more - I miss them also. I know time does not stand still but like this thread, I remember the people who started them - and for many years they have stood the test of time. Would love to see some more stop by again.

OK, so I am always hungry and that is a "requirement" here at the Fence. Bring food for we vultures. I am leaving - again - some cinnamon and raisin bagels and remembered to bring cream cheese this morning. Dig in.

Have a great day one and all.

Honored Contributor

Morning, I'm still around ,and have been waiting for this thread to show up

It's  37 here , but we have had so much rain lately ,its very damp. I think I am going to get some  topical arthritis  cream from Canada

Every since that bitter cold snap we had, had I am  having some problems with pain and stiffness

WE are out to breakfast soon. It's our daily ritual, and treat.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Okay, I'm brining lunch.

Crock pot of potato soup and some rolls.  Those bits in the soup are ham.

Image result for crock pot potato soup

Related image