Honored Contributor

Re: January 2016 - Back Fence

@Epicurean

I called Ruth on Thursday, the 21st of January.  Her most recent chemo treatment was on Christmas Eve.  Ruth goes for weekly blood work to measure hemoglobin, red and white blood counts, etc. and said that when she went for blood work at the beginning of the year, her levels were so low they admitted her for 3 days and she received a couple of transfusions.  Apparently the doctor had switched up the chemo drug on Christmas Eve and it did a number on her blood.

She said that she felt strong and was trying to build up her stamina by taking the stairs to the basement at least once a day.  She did acknowledge that she probably felt good because she hadn't received treatment in nearly a month.  I don't ask alot about the particular protocol she's undergoing because Ruth is not one to ask the doctor those kind of details.  He says, we want to fight this aggressively and she says okay.

I know she had an appointment with the oncologist this past Wednesday.  Since I don't know what time of the day it was and what he might have told her, I usually give it a couple of days for whatever the doctor said, to sink in or digest before I call and ask about it.

She talks about wanting to come back to work and while some at work say, she should stay home and take care of herself, if it's what she wants I'll support her. 

My biggest fear is that the doctor will say, there is nothing more to be done.  None of the treatments are working like we would like.  I know the liver is not responding well to the chemo. 

Ruth said her appetite was great and she was finally eating chicken and some fish.  Up till January she ate veggies. 

Ruth sounds really strong and I support whatever she says.  If she wants to try to come back to work, okay.  If work motivates her or gives her purpose I say okay.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Bernie,must be hard on her,but it seems she does not ask any questions.just goes along with what the MD. Says.

i can understand her wanting to be back to work,but I would be concerned with exposure to illness. But,that's up to her. 

I am the type that goes into the Drs. Office with a list of concerns and questions.

everyone  handles things differently.

Honored Contributor

@Epicurean

I tend to grill my physicians, lol.  I don't like to ask Ruth too many questions about the what's and why's because I don't want her to be frustrated when she is talking with me.  Her team has absorbed her work and I believe the management posted her job, not that they would admit it, around Thanksgiving.  The job description is exactly what she does and none of the girls in the her team applied for it, even though it was a promotion. 

Technically after 6 months, and that is coming next month, she will be on disability.  She is more than age to retire and I tell her just go with the disability right now.  Two checks at reduced pay is better than one retirement check.

Contributor

Hi fencers.  Thanks to Yock I found my way back.  Have been gone a long time and have missed the fence and all the comraderie.

Life just keeps going on.  I had surgery in September and have since lost 55 pounds trying to help my back and so far very little improvement.Have been working with a diatitian and learning how to eat better. Life is changing.

You gals sound like you are all doing well.  It will be good to catch up again.  

Regular Contributor

Hi Meuw! How nice to see you back here at the fence. I've asked about you several times and wondered how you are doing. Wow, a loss of 55 lbs. What an achievement! I have to keep the current page the fence is on to my favorite list and just click on it to find my way back.

Bernie, I know that your friend Ruth appreciates your concern for her. I'm sorry to hear that she seems to have had somewhat of a setback when she had to be hospitalized, but hopefully she'll have an improvement. I shall continue to pray for her.

How's the weather up your way Bernie? I hate the news out of Flint concerning the lead infiltrating the water and the impact it's having on the folks there. I hoped you were not in that area.

Epi, did you see my post where I gave you my e mail addy? It's my name here at aol. I'm so irritated with myself that I managed to lose your e mail addy.

I haven't been here in a few days and didn't read the previous pages so hope all are well.

Well, I need to get me to bed so I won't be sleepy in worship services in the morning.

Happy early first day of the week all! Sue

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@meuw

Oh Meuw, it is soooo good to see you.  The fencers and birds nesters have missed you so. 

Honored Contributor

@Queenofo2

My weather isn't too bad - was in the 40's yesterday and I think will be in the 50's today with rain on and off.  I'm not near Flint - my community gets water from Detroit and wouldn't think of changing water supply like Flint did.

Did you see my email address that I posted for you?  I'll post it again - you don't have to email me if you don't want to, I just don't know if you saw it.

bernadettemarie@msn.com

Just so you know, Epi and I talk on email.  I don't blab folks business on the forums here. 

Respected Contributor

Meuw, you have been missed - we have wondered where you were - hope things go well for you. Glad to hear that Betty got you pointed in the right direction to get here. Good for her. Betty has also tried to point Jody here but Jody says she still can't find us.

Rained during the night and it is suppose to rain off and on today - we can always use it. Interesting however in that HUGE rain we had about a month ago must have been even stronger than I figured out and I knew it dropped a lot of water. The ground NEVER got completely dry - that is such a strange thing in this part of the country.

My Sis and her family live in Flint but according to what she says, she and her husband are the only ones affected by the water. She had never said a word - they are in Florida now and will not return to Flint until early April. Guess the other ones have different water??!!

Sue, glad to see you here also - Jim doing well??? Tell him hello.

They have recaptured all three of those very dangerous convicts who escaped from prison Friday week ago. Have really been nervous about it as they are really bad people. And how great it is that NO ONE got hurt.

Church this morning - meeting after church to see what the future holds - it has been a roller coaster ride the past year - so have no clue. The pastor now is the one who retired from the church I use to attend - he is great - but not sure he can pull it off. Just too much damage done by the former musical genius. He was that, second to none when it came to music, but not sure he was satisfied to just do that. LONG story but one that never should have happened. Lost so many members.

Hope all have a great day!!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Meuw, glad to see you found us again.  My iPad is just moving all over the place today.  I tap on a subject or try to and it I'll jump two places up.    

Bernie, my cousin had a cancer in the bowel a few years ago but was cleared.   Since then he has had several blockages. He also suffered with adhesions which they said couldn't be removed.   This time he was in severe pain and they thought he had had a heart attack   He didn't.  They tried to remove the blockage with a tube up his nose, but were unsuccessful.   They rushed him to emergency surgery a week ago Thursday.   They were able to remove his stomach, clean it out and the colon also.  Then they could get the adhesions, straighten out some kinks, line his stomach With material to discourage adhesions and put everything back in place.  A successful surgery but unfortunately they haven't been able to wake him up.   They have been adjusting meds.    Now they have inserted  a temporary trach to help his breathing.   I have not heard anything yet this morning.   They lost their only son less than a year ago and Terri lost her sister and mother within the last five years. Her dad died when she was 6 months old.  

it sounds like the story of Job and their faith stays strong.   

Honored Contributor

@meuw4 wrote:

Hi fencers.  Thanks to Yock I found my way back.  Have been gone a long time and have missed the fence and all the comraderie.

Life just keeps going on.  I had surgery in September and have since lost 55 pounds trying to help my back and so far very little improvement.Have been working with a diatitian and learning how to eat better. Life is changing.

You gals sound like you are all doing well.  It will be good to catch up again.  

Hi Meuw,   You have been so missed.   I have often wondered where you were and how you and your DH were doing.   Hope your back shows some improvement after all the work you are doing to help it along.    

Miss hearing about all the birds and critters in your yard.   If you get a chance come and post on the Birdnest thread.  Many there miss your postings too.  

Take good care. Heart