Honored Contributor

Re: J.C. penny planning new store

Everything old is new again (well, maybe not in-store exercise classes)..  I really can't see this working; J.C. Penney has too much of an image problem.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

It sounds like a great idea - now with the demise of shopping malls.

I hope they are successful.  I shop at JCP online regularly.  Good merchandise, good prices. 

They moved from catalog shopping to online shopping and apparently have been successful.  JCP was online back in the 90s.

Sears could have done the same ... but somebody there really messed up.  

Honored Contributor

I hope it works for them. Three stores I would like to see succeed our JCPenney, Macy’s, and Nordstrom’s.
Respected Contributor

Other than the exercise classes, this sounds like the department stores that I remember as a little kid. 

I really don't shop at J.C. Penney, other than buying towels. Don't care for their clothes at all. But I hope this works for them. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I'm surprised.  It was never a big player in retail.

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

Other than the exercise classes, this sounds like the department stores that I remember as a little kid. 

I really don't shop at J.C. Penney, other than buying towels. Don't care for their clothes at all. But I hope this works for them. 

@FrostyBabe1 I bought the boys clothes there when they were little and I got some window treatments there.  I loved there catalog  but rarely bought clothes there, although,  some find nuggets. 

Honored Contributor

The last time I was in a JCP was in 2011 trying to find something to wear to my daughters college graduation. 

It was messy, racks crammed full of unorganized stuff, sheets of plastic up every where.   I've never been back.