Honored Contributor

Today while shopping, I was looking at Christmas decorations - like I need anymore. Another lady was admiring the same thing I was, my husband joked that she should come and shop in our attic if she needed any decorations for Christmas.

Well, we all laughed because she said "You haven't seen my attic". She said she retired in June. I retired in June. She said the first thing she was going to do was clean the attic. I said the first thing I was going to do was clean the attic. Well, it was a bit too warm so I purged my work clothing. Instead of cleaning her attic she painted two rooms.

We are going to South Carolina for vacation. She is going to South Carolina for vacation. She was going to work part time after she retired. And told them to forget it, she is enjoying being retired. I was going to work "as needed" I decided I didn't want to. I liked the retired life.

When I worked I did not think I would like being retired. I thought I would be bored but everyday there seems to be something to do. A friend sent me a picture it said AM with a picture of a cup of coffee and then PM with a picture of a wine glass. 

I think that is what I like so much about retirement and my "twin" agreed. That we don't have to be constantly checking the clock. Making sure we are at work on time, meeting deadlines, getting to and preparing for meetings etc. Just like the attic maybe it won't get done this month but we aren't driving ourselves crazy because it isn't done.

We are getting out on a beautiful day like today and thinking about decorating for Christmas.

Honored Contributor

It sounds like she could become a good friend.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla-

What a great post!Smiley Happy 

and so funny!

I'm going to read it againSmiley Happy

and I can cause its on my schedule lol!😁

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

A fine example of a doppelgänger.

Supposedly there’s one out there for each of us. 

Fun post! 

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla Your post brought back pleasant memories of meeting a stranger who became my best friend, I miss her. Thanks for sharing!

Respected Contributor

Re: I met my twin

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla  Cool story.  For me, it's the basement and the closets.......well, basically getting rid of all the excess "stuff."  Maybe that's why I'm still working full time........I still have an excuse not to do that purging job!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

As for seeing my "twin":  I was in the NYC Museum of Modern Art many years ago when I looked at this huge painting by Manet....Jesus being Taken Down from the Cross.

There in the upper right hand quadrant, was my twin.  I gasped and the folks near me wanted to know if I was okay.  I pointed to the figure:  they saw the likeness also.

In real life there are several gals who resemble me:  in one store the cashier came over and began talking to me as though she knew me; in an old time VHS store, the clerk kept calling me by this other woman's name...every time I came in.

I hope these gals are behaving themselves: don't want to spoil my good name, lol.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla, I have been asked several times if I work in a hospital.  Apparently there is someone who does who looks just like me.  The people making the comments are usually hospital staff.  I never met this person but it has happened so many times it makes me curious.  I spent a lot of time there with a family member undergoing a course of treatment for 6 months.  LM

Honored Contributor

What a lovely post!  I was smiling so much when I read it.  The lady you met sounds so nice.  I hope you get in touch with each other.

I want to be like you when I grow up!  LOL.  Seriously, I was thinking --- she is so blessed and lucky.  I only hope that some day I am able to have this.  No watching the clock and constantly hurrying.   

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin