Esteemed Contributor

Re: I am going to the store today before the big snow storm tonight

DD decided to hit Wegmans before work.  She left at 6:00am and said it was minus 4 degrees.

We are to get yet another nuisance snow, 1 to 3 inches, tomorrow.  More Tuesday and again later next week.  To say it is getting tiresome is an understatement.

Luckily, we haven't had ice to deal with.  Only a Zamboni works on ice.  Folks around here think because they have a pickup or 4 wheel drive they can drive on ice like normal. Nope, it doesn't work. I don't drive on ice, period.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rockygems123 

I'm in Oklahoma up north about 2 hrs from OKC

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@rockygems123 wrote:

@Nightowlz 

What part of the country?

@rockygems123 

OK. One of my brothers is in Tx where they had all the ice mess & wrecks.

@Nightowlz 

That was horrible! The latest news report I read said 6 dead and 65 injured. Many of the vehicles were 18 wheelers.

There's more info and video of actual parts of the accident at the below link

Six people have now been confirmed dead and 65 others injured following a 133 car pile-up on a Texas freeway Thursday morning

SIX people now confirmed dead and 65 injured in shocking 133-car pile-up on Texas freeway | Daily Ma...

@KingstonsMom 

You are right I'm in Oklahoma

Have you seen the videos of any of this? It's horrible. The semi's were going fast. Who drives like that on ice? I think these truck drivers need some more schooling to learn how to drive that big rig on ice.

The trucks just kept slamming into vehicles. One semi slammed in the back of a white pickup which went flying in the air over other vehicles. It looked like the semi drove over the vehicle in front of the pickup that went flying.

This is why I freak out when I'm in a car on the Interstate. I know not all these truck drivers know what they are doing. No way will I get in a vehicle when it's icy not even a little bit.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

Just got an email from my GD in Battle Ground, WA that is was snowing like crazy.  They closed the Vet Hospital and sent everyone home. 

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  I know exactly what you mean about people who think that you can drive the same on ice as you do on dry roads.   Since I'm retired I don't need to drive when the roads are bad but when I was still working I remember once or twice having a pick-up truck driver coming up behind me and laying on his horn because he felt that I wasn't moving fast enough for him. The roads were a sheet of ice and he wanted to drive like he was on a racetrack.   

I used to just think you're an idiot.  I'm not going to risk my life or the lives of others because you can't drive sensibly.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

Just got an email from my GD in Battle Ground, WA that is was snowing like crazy.  They closed the Vet Hospital and sent everyone home. 

@DiAnne  I live in Renton....no snow at all yet.  Expect to start snowing about 5PM tonight and real hard through to tomorrow.  We could Ge 6 to 8 inches here and in  the Seattle area....That much snow stops life as we know it..... snow wimps😄

Contributor

I'm in Ok and this weather stinks. Last few years we have had little snow but some rainy weather.  While we should be used to staying in with Covid we could always get out of the house and for the last week it has been a challenge as ice has kept our neighborhood pretty isolated.  The big snow and cold temps this weekend is the kicker.  Bright side is lots of calls to friends and family and getting taxes done. 

Esteemed Contributor

@J Town Girl   Years ago DH was taking me to work one day and 1/2 there the freezing rain started and everyone was crawling..........except for the yahoo in a bag honkin pickup who passed us.

3 miles later we saw him on the opposite side of the road with both of his driver's side tires in a ditch. He obviously crossed the other lane to end up there, he was kucky he didn't kill someone.

Valued Contributor

Today it was 18 below & right now it's 12 below. I have to pick up shampoo & vitamins for our two dogs. They have had two grooming appointments cancelled due to weather. My fur babies are getting bath tomorrow with my husbands help! I am going to try to trim them. I may run into our little grocery store to get a few items. This time of year we keep our freezer full. Can't wait for Spring!!

Valued Contributor

Thanks for bringing a smile to my face!! Life is not fun right now. It's way to cold to spend any time outside! Trying to hang on until Spring!