Honored Contributor

Re: I Made A New QVC Friend Today!

You guys know I have 8 grandchildren (7 living).  My oldest daughter who lives maybe 40 minutes away; and I see is now dealing with 3 teenagers and a 6 year old!

My favorite thing to do is take the 16 and 15 year old girls out shopping, lunch and talking in the car.  They are in gifted programs in school and the 15 year old goes to a special school in Northern Va just for 'gifted' (I hate that word...all kids are gifted) kids.  I mention this because I've worried so much about the 15 year old because she is so single minded about people (and she doesn't realize it).  I can't go into it here but she is similar to some of what's going on in colleges these days.

Anyway, her problem is with what she calls 'priviledged' people!  So funny because this past summer her other grandmother took her, her sister and her cousin on a cruise for two weeks all around Europe starting in Germany.  Then the rest of her family met them in Italy for another 2 weeks traveling.  Hummmm??? That sounds 'priviledged' to me.

I've worked so hard (during our conversations while eating in the car) to get her to learn that she can be nice acquaintances with everyone.  Doesn't mean she has to 'hang out' with them but be 'friends'.  I've prayed that God would help her to open her heart and brain to not judge people so harshly.

Well, I received a card from all 4 of the grandchildren.  They always hand write the notes on the card specific to our relationship/a gift, etc.

From her was a long note that thanked me for the gifts I'd given, but my heart sang when I read that she especially enjoyed our conversations and felt she'd learned so much from me.  

I knew what she was saying since we don't talk academics, but we do talk about acceptance of those who don't think exactly like we do (i.e. especially politics, etc). It's a very fine line because I'm careful not to make it seem like I'm judging her or attacking her beliefs or ideas.  I try to just carefully show her everyone has a 'story' and has something to contribute to .....well...all of us.

I guess I'm mentioning this because I know some of you have grandchildren with whom you spend time.  I know some of you probably wonder (like I do) 'where's this country heading'.  

Well, at least from my perspective (and my granddaughter's) things are going to work out just fine.....I like to think I had a tiny bit (just a teeny tiny bit) to do with her (hopefully) acceptance of everyone.....even 'priviledged' people....Ha!

Honored Contributor

I wish all grandchildren had grandmothers like you, @Annabellethecat66.  The world would be a better place!  😉

Trusted Contributor

I know that ''I'' make friends easy .  I was in Walmart the other day with my 40 year old niece.  While waiting for her to purchase her items, a beautiful child caught my eye and I commented to the child's mother of how pretty her little girl was.  The quick back and forth chat brighten my day.  My niece, on the other hand, commented '' You and mama will talk to anybody !"   I was a little dumb-struck by her comment.  Yes, I DO talk to anybody, while keeping in mind not to be annoying.  I've noticed that I must have '' magical powers'' because when I stop to chat and share a smile, I receive A SMILE in return !   Maybe my niece needs to try it !!!