Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

We put on a big pot of water with cinnamon and cloves a couple of times a week and let it just steam for the antiques.

@ECBG   Nah! It's not just for the antiques. It must smell darn good at your house....

Valued Contributor

I use a crock pot all winter long.  It sits on my kitchen counter, and puts out just the right amount of humidity. The only time I turn it off is when I'm leaving the house for more than a day.

Honored Contributor

Yes...I agree with you.

The irony (about the humidity...or lack in winter), is the total opposite in the summer.

In fact, in the summer I have to keep 2 dehumidifiers going.  

So, I agree with you, I guess I’ll have to TRY to delay using the humidifiers in the rooms...

But in all honesty, that will probably last a hot minute!  Ha!

I’ll bet some people aren’t even aware of the white dust, but if that’s the case they must be living in a cave. Humm😉

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 Yes I have had the white dust coming from my QVC humidifier.  I have been told that it is due to "hard" water at my house and to purchase distilled water.  However, I cannot cart around tubs of water so I just wipe off the tv and other like surfaces the dust likes.  I have not notices the white dust on my walls or windows however.  I do know the water in my house is "hard".

Honored Contributor

@2blonde  As @NicksmomESQ  and I both ( and now you have said, we will just have to stick with the whole house one we all have on our units.

I just keep thinking of breathing in that white dust.  I think I’ve tried and done everything to TRY to prevent it.

Think about it...It even gets inside the cabinets even though they are shut.

My friend has well water; and even he has white dust when using the portable humidifiers.  My point?  Well, I can’t blame it on the junk errrr...stuff the powers that be put in the water...to protect our teeth?!?

Respected Contributor

@2blonde I have a humidifier system on my gas furnace that I find is useless.  Paid a good amount of xtra money for it, too.  So I use a regular humidifier which I bought from QVC and find it does emit white dust mainly on my TV.  I have heard that the reason for the dust was hard water I use.  My house does  have hard water. Recommened was distilled water but I cannot cart around jugs of water so I put up with the dust and every morning I  just wipe down the affected items.

Honored Contributor

@tobes @I’ve always know mine is hard...but at the risk of appearing to be ignorant....who in the heck has ‘soft’ water and are they aware of it? Ha!

When we were building this house we rented a house from the builder for a few months.  He installed a water conditioner.  I never noticed a difference.

I drink lots of water.  Lots of bottled water.  I like it because there’s no taste...no chlorine or what’re they put in it...it is probably fake and delicious.  

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 Do you have turn off the conditioner when you do your laundry.  I looked into this and was told that the conditoner has to be shut off for laundry.  

Honored Contributor

@tobes  I don’t understand your question.

Please explain as I do want to answer.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 I was told by the rep at Home Depot that I would have to turn off the water softner whenever I did laundry