Honored Contributor

Wow...I would DEMAND my money back and if not..take legal action...and I am not one to sue people.....never have been, but this is totally uncalled for and very rude.

Respected Contributor

I would respond (again) in-kind.

You sent a second email with no response which is unacceptable. 

Send another and mention that you do NOT want to be part of a group that would exclude ANYONE who is not of "their calibre."   And any money due to you should be sent within 30 days or you will take legal action (even if you won't since a lawyer cost more than dance lessons!)

Honored Contributor

I am speechless.  That goes beyond tacky; it's cruel and heartless.  I know that you weren't in the class to compete or to prepare for competition but I wonder if that is true of everyone.  It seems to me that the class was just for fun for you but  fun probably wasn't the point of the class.  They said you were not of the "caliber" of the rest of the class which leads me to believe that there's a back story.  Also, how old was the rest of the class?  What was the fitness level?  Honestly, I think you were in the wrong type of class.  There are recreational ballroom dance classes all over.  You enjoyed it, so find one that is appropriate for you.  And don't feel bad, after that letter, you should be happy to be done with that class.  

Honored Contributor

Another reason we do not spread our e-mail around.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Trusted Contributor

If this had been on the instructor's mind that you weren't keeping up with the class, why wouldn't she have told you weeks ago that you'd have to step up your dancing with more practicing at home or something. Abruptly telling you that you could no longer come to classes doesn't make any sense. You should have been given warnings, whatever the real problem was.

Honored Contributor

(thread title only)

@bonnielu,

I would feel I had improved my skills and leave it at that, since that was my original and intended goal.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Re: How would you react?

[ Edited ]

Your perception of being "equal to the others" may be very different from how others in the class see you. If you have caused the class to stop many times while you catch up or if you stopped class to ask questions enough times, then I can understand their irritation with the hold up. Nevertheless, the instructor should have spoken to you at the end of class, not in an email.

But if it was your friends who invited you, surely they knew what the class was like -- if there would be restrictions on ability, etc. So what do your friends have to say about this?

First, I wouldn't waste any more time or energy trying to understand what happened. I wouldn't care what a bunch of rude individuals thought. Pfffft.

Second, I would send a short and unemotional email to the instructor (with copies to the head of the company) that your participation in this class was rudely terminated and that you fully expect a 50% refund for your time and trouble or you will have to take legal action.

Esteemed Contributor

You are all so wondderful to answer  my post  and give me encouragment.  I am about on average  10 years older than the rest of the class.  My hubby is the oldest. He is athletic.  I am not.  But together we really do try and we help others... it is our lifestyle and motto.  I am still wondering what in the world this person was thinking.  The couple had plenty of time to take us aside but she chose to write the email early in the morning, last Friday and then send it.  And most of you are right... we did select another place and are going there tonight... also the same distance but in another direction.  (What can I say we live rural).  

We were paying per class so they owe us no money.  And I guess I could storm in there or write all kinds of emails in return but the people I am dealing with would not be remotely  interested or affected.  

I will say this..and my grandmother  used to say it.  I cannot track it down.  It might be biblical or from  Frank Sinatra..... SUCCESS IS THE BEST REVENGE.  So I will eat one more ice cream and head  on our in a few hours for a second chance.  Thanks everyone.

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu

That is AWFUL.  I can't imagine someone doing that, it's just terrible.  I would at first be hurt and then I would be angry.  I wouldn't try to go back, you are a better person than they are.

I hope you find something closer or keep practicing on your own so you can enjoy it.

I'm sorry that happened to you.  Despicable.

Honored Contributor

OK, now I am mad.  If it was me, I would be tempted to see if her dance class is on Yelp, see what other people thought of her, and maybe give her a poor rating, she certainly deserves it @bonnielu

If you don't know what Yelp is, let me know and I will tell you Smiley Happy