Respected Contributor

How would you interpret this?

I'm going to admit I have no idea what a lot of emojis mean, but am I interpreting this text correctly. 

Texting with a friend about lunch.  We always go to her side of town.   I say I want to stay on my side of town.   Her reply:

I can do that, but it is followed by the rolling on the floor laughing emojis. 

I'm assuming she is saying there is no way she is coming to my side of town. 

I know I can ask her,  and I will, just wondering about your interpretation if you were to receive this.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How would you interpret this?

That is the way I would interpret her answer. She is conveying no way no how. Are you sure she is a friend and not an acquaintance. Usually, friends try to be admenable.

Valued Contributor

@Travone i read this to mean she can do that followed by a laugh.  i would not overthink the emoji.

Trusted Contributor

I have to agree with @elated, that emoji comes off like what a joke to think that I want to do lunch on your side of town.

Personally, I would suggest that we alternate lunch on each other's side of town.

That sounds fair to me.

Valued Contributor

I believe I would rethink going to lunch on any end of town with this person....

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't overthink it.  People use emojis a lot.

Since she said "I can do that", I'd simply reply by suggesting a place on your side of town and see what she says.  Or ask if she has any particular place there that she'd like to try.

Does she never come to see you on your own turf?  Are the restaurants better where she is?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Travone wrote:

I'm going to admit I have no idea what a lot of emojis mean, but am I interpreting this text correctly. 

Texting with a friend about lunch.  We always go to her side of town.   I say I want to stay on my side of town.   Her reply:

I can do that, but it is followed by the rolling on the floor laughing emojis. 

I'm assuming she is saying there is no way she is coming to my side of town. 

I know I can ask her,  and I will, just wondering about your interpretation if you were to receive this.

@Travone 

What am I missing here? Woman Frustrated

Why is this even an either/or situation?  

Why not just meet in the middle?  

Esteemed Contributor

It can also mean that she mistakenly sent that one, instead of a smiling emoji, depending on her emoji layout.😊 I have sent unintended emojis several times.😁

Hopefully, she was not intentionally being inconsiderate.🤞

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Valued Contributor

@Travone  WHENEVER POSSIBLE I ALWAYS TRY TO GIVE PEOPLE THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT, ESPECIALLY A FRIEND. IT COULD VERY WELL BE THAT SHE SENT THE WRONG EMOJI TOO, THAT WOULD BE AN EASY MISTAKE ANYONE COULD MAKE. I SAY THIS BECAUSE IT DOESNT FIT WITH WHAT SHE SAID OR THE FACT THAT SHE'S A FRIEND. IM A PRETTY DIRECT PERSON AND I PROBABLY WOULD HAVE SENT THE SAME EMOJI BACK TO HER WITH A QUESTION MARK. Haha

Respected Contributor

Forget interpreting emojis! Just Ask her pointedly if she is good with that? Or just give a time and place to meet on your side of town!