Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

Alone for a week is a long time...probably 18.I would have to make sure that they were responsible enough even at that age.Funny that I was married at 19 and thought I was very grown up.

I got married when I was 19 too, and I was very grown up compared to most kids I know today including my own.  I had a lot of responsibility at a very young age.

Honored Contributor

My answer is, a junior or senior in high school.   

Honored Contributor

Many kids leave home at 17 or 18 to go off to college or move out on their own once they have gotten a job. I have a couple friends who got married right out of high school, my cousin eloped on her & her husband's high school graduation night. Now they have been married 52 years and are great grandparents.

Super Contributor

i was left home alone when I was 16 for about a week (had a summer job) - I am now 70 so this was some time ago. 

I think it totally depends on the child and how long the parents will be gone...obviously overnight is different from an entire week.

Super Contributor

Depends on the maturity of the children, like John I have no children...but do have younger siblings!  My parents went away on vacation...she must have been 17/18 years old decided to throw a party and invite the entire 10th grade class..there were kegs of beer flowing..cars all up and down the street..my parents came home to a house smelling like a brewery.. But then again...it could have been an immature 20 year old.

Honored Contributor

@gracie2014 wrote:

Depends on the maturity of the children, like John I have no children...but do have younger siblings!  My parents went away on vacation...she must have been 17/18 years old decided to throw a party and invite the entire 10th grade class..there were kegs of beer flowing..cars all up and down the street..my parents came home to a house smelling like a brewery.. But then again...it could have been an immature 20 year old.

She was 17 - 18 and only in 10th grade? How would they have gotten kegs of beer? 

Honored Contributor

40...     But seriously, I did not leave my girls alone in the house until they were college age.  And I don't think I ever did it then.  I'm pretty sure if hubby took a vacation during their college years, they were either away at school or we went on a family vacation.  I'd never in million years leave teens on their own. 

Super Contributor

Very easy, supplied by the older brothers and sisters of her friends...had pot everything going..people in the bedrooms..she quickly lost control of the situation..tiny little town..the two vops had better things to do...its funny because now some of those attendees run the town/assemblymen..others are cops in the town. This was the early to mid seventies..believe alcohol could be purchased by 18 year olds..Forget when it was changed to 21. This small a little town was in Connecticut.

Super Contributor

@151949 No more like 16/17..its been a while.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone for your replies.  I am the grandma of this 15 yo child (just turned 15 and a Freshman, only child) and the parents are gone for a week.  An Uncle is staying at night.  No school tomorrow, but Uncle has day off M & T. 

Child was alone yesterday, had athletics last night, alone today until more athletics tonight.  Child will be alone after school until Uncle gets home about 8:30. 

I  think child is too young and have tried to tell parents, but no go.  Whenever they are planning, I ask what about______?  They say oh, we'll figure something out.  That should be their first concern.  Child is a very good kid, but i wonder what it is doing to the stability and feeling of security and caring.

They do this a couple times a year.  They should be home w/this child.  Good heavens, they will have plenty of time to go when child is a few yrs older.

Thanks for listening to this old Grandma.......I'm almost 80 and anxiety gets the better of me!  I pray a lot Smiley Happy

@Patriot3 wrote:

How old does a child need to be before leaving them alone for a week or so?  I know it probably depends on the child and the level of responsibility, but generally.