Respected Contributor

It's only Feb and I have poison ivy already!

It was 66 here in Indiana yesterday and I was outside all day clearing flower beds and tearing out a low profile plant in one area - woke up this morning and have poison ivy on my arms - UGH!  I get this every year it seems - all I have to do is look at it.  Almost always starts in the crook of my arm - had long sleeves on and gloves, but it never seems to help.  Oh well, at least it's nice out! 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: It's only Feb and I have poison ivy already!

Oh, I know that is miserable.  My Dad used to get it so easily, even if he didn't trouch it directly (he said).  One time, he swore he got it from someone burning it in the neighborhood. 

I live back in the woods surrounded by vines of all kinds -- and, of course, lots of trees with vines growing on them.

Thankfully, I've never had poison ivy, but then, I rarely venture into the woods unless it is the dead of winter!

Esteemed Contributor

That is miserable.  

I touched a root that was climbing a tree and then held hands with my boyfriend in the dead of winter and he got it.

I'm not usually prone to PI.  In fact, I have some growing in a rock wall not far from the front door that I keep trimmed.  I say, "I don't need a Smith and Wesson - I've got poison ivy".  It's got great fall color.

For those who will chide, I do warn people.  And it grows all over, not just there.  I was fascinated this past summer to find that there is a caterpillar that is specific to poison ivy.  Doesn't kill the vine but does knock it back.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

I think once you get PI, it lies dormant in your system.

I got it years ago on my face.

Once a year I'll get a little bump/blister where I had it - goes away in a few days.

Honored Contributor

My allergic son was vulnerable to it 365 days/year.

He had to have steroid treatments several times because it would get so bad.

Hope you get relief soon!

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

Oh, I know that is miserable.  My Dad used to get it so easily, even if he didn't trouch it directly (he said).  One time, he swore he got it from someone burning it in the neighborhood. 

I live back in the woods surrounded by vines of all kinds -- and, of course, lots of trees with vines growing on them.

Thankfully, I've never had poison ivy, but then, I rarely venture into the woods unless it is the dead of winter!

Your father was right. Burning poison ivy does disseminate the oils that cause the rash into the air. My son often got it in places where there was NO SIGN of "leaves three, let it be".

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Witchy Woman - yes and if they burn it and you inhale it - you can get it in your lungs!

Respected Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I think once you get PI, it lies dormant in your system.

I got it years ago on my face.

Once a year I'll get a little bump/blister where I had it - goes away in a few days.

@YorkieonmyPillow - mine takes 2 weeks to go away - I've gotten it so bad I need cortisone shots. 

Respected Contributor

I am terribly allergic and cortisone is, unfortunately, the only answer for me. 

There is however, a lotion, (clear) that is made here in Santa Barbara that my son and his mountain biking friends swear by. For the life of me I can't remember the name of it.----mr henny came in and said it is called Derma pac. 

Trusted Contributor

My husband is really allergic and gets severe reactions that require Prednisone. We were told that you can get poison ivy, even in the winter, because the oil remains in the stems.  

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"